Starting over.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheridonia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been unsuccessful. Due to gouramis and other minor issues. How should I go about cleaning the tank, pebbles, hideys and plastic plants. Also how should I clean the filter machine?

What minor issues did you have?
Did you cycle your tank?
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
Why do you need to clean your tank after "minor " issues?

We really need to understand the situation to help you.

Agree with above post, was it the tank equipment you were having issues with or fish compatiblities?

How long have you had this tank set up? Just want to know if you have some basic knowledge of aquariums or have recently started :)

Cleaning your filter depends on what kind you have. (Sponge, Hang-On Back, canister, etc..)

What size tank is this and is it heated?

High Ph, algae, filter is a whisper filter that hangs on the back.

Also fish comparabilities. Was sold gouramis that really shouldn't be sold with any fish. They should be singular like male betas

Don't worry about adjusting your ph, most fish are tank raised and were probably housed in water fairly close to your own. Acclimate them properly when you bring them home and most will be OK in the water you have.

Algae is usually the result of too much light or direct sunlight. These first two things are minor and no real reason to completely clean tank and start over.

Gourami's can be aggressive if you have two males, they're a breeding pair, or a combination of these things in too small of a tank. I have 3 sunset honey gourami in my community tank, and they're commonly kept in community tanks with other fish.

Again were glad to help but need information. Did you cycle your tank? How big it? What fish did you try?

Not trying to be mean but lfs (local fish stores) are bad about selling anything and giving poor advice.

Here is a thread on getting started, the nitrogen cycle and other useful information.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

Don't worry about adjusting your ph, most fish are tank raised and were probably housed in water fairly close to your own. Acclimate them properly when you bring them home and most will be OK in the water you have.

Algae is usually the result of too much light or direct sunlight. These first two things are minor and no real reason to completely clean tank and start over.

Gourami's can be aggressive if you have two males, they're a breeding pair, or a combination of these things in too small of a tank. I have 3 sunset honey gourami in my community tank, and they're commonly kept in community tanks with other fish.

Again were glad to help but need information. Did you cycle your tank? How big it? What fish did you try?

Not trying to be mean but lfs (local fish stores) are bad about selling anything and giving poor advice.

Here is a thread on getting started, the nitrogen cycle and other useful information.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837

20 gallons
Cycled for 5 days
No direct sunlight
Gouramis and mollies

Back
Top Bottom