Starting over (kinda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Based on what I learned here in my other thread about cycling, I thought it best just to start over. I did a full water change over lunch, added the NovAqua water conditioner, and just dosed the 10 gal with 1.5 mL of the Ace brand ammonia.:cool:

I did not fully wash all the gravel, decos, filters, etc. Figured nothing I had put in there to date (basically Nutrafin Cycle) would leave enough behind to matter when I did the fwc.

Be interesting to see what happens now! Thanks to the group for patience with a newb.

We'll be watching and cheering you on. Eco's article on fish less cycling is the way to go.

Let it run for the afternoon, and then tested just before leaving.

Ammonia = 4 ppm (1.5 mL calculation was DEAD on!)
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = didn't even bother at this point

Now the RE-waiting begins. *sigh*

Stopped by lfs on way home to replace heater with stuck t'stat. Luckily it failed while cycling so no fishies got cooked.

I know eco's guide is somewhat against carbon. Lfs was trying to get me to cut my own filters (which matches the guide) but then they recommended sandwiching in a layer of Purigen in lieu of carbon. Any thoughts on that stuff? Sounded good . . . . .

About to leave for the weekend. Ammonia still sitting at 4 ppm from initial dosing on Wednesday. Maybe will have some action over the weekend that will show up when I'm back in Monday.

Still curious for people's thoughts on Purigen. I'm planning to:

1 - remove factory Aqua Tech filter (plastic housing filled with loose carbon + layer of filter mesh.

2 - line bottom of Aqua Tech HOB canister with freshly cut filter media

3 - drop Purigen baggie on top of that

4 - (maybe) add second layer of cut media

Just gotta figure out how to temporarily keep the existing filter in place long enough to get any healthy bacteria that may have already started growing (which is probably minimal at this point since ammonia is still sitting at 4)

Happy weekend all.

EDIT: Will not be adding the Purigen layer until the tank is fully cycled so it won't have a negative impact on the "on purpose" ammonia that's in there right now. Will probably proceed with the other steps now.

I'm not really against carbon (although you don't need it IMO), I'm against the practice of stores selling a product which they claim needs monthly replacement to the detriment of your fish.

I've only minority researched Purigen, but I agree not to add it until cycled. I'm pretty much against any type of chemical filtration unless it is for a specific and needed purpose.

Last edited:
Well poo. Got in this morning, and ammonia is STILL sitting at 4. Is that OK given that initial dosing was done last Wednesday? Also wondering if the separate biofilter onboard the little Aqua Tech filter is a decent quality, or if I need to replace it with something better. The white section in the photo below is what Aqua Tech sends saying to NEVER change it when changing the other (blue) filter.

biofilter.jpg

EDIT: I cut the plastic backing off the factory filter, and all carbon was removed. Purigen has NOT been added yet. Only filtration is what shows in the pic above.

Back
Top Bottom