Starting planted tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ello fellow fish people and aquarists!

I'd like to start a thread about starting a planted tanks. because I think they can be quite beautiful!

First off can we discuss how planted tanks are different from fish heavy tanks in terms of maintenance and equipment?

Secondly I'd like to get a list of nooby pitfalls to planted tanks as I am a noob to planted tanks. Ie I don't own one yet but I am positive id like having one on my desk.

Lastly pics! I wanna see your purdy tanks. So i can get some ideas. And so you can show off. Lol I'm addicted. I'm posting this thread in class

greetings.

nooby pitfalls would be buying plants that aren't actually aquatic and plants that has higher needs than you can provide. research is important just like with fish.

the good thing about a heavy planted tank is that you'll have all the o2 fish needs. the plants help with no4 and phosphorous and they add a whole new element to the aquarium, making the aquarium a piece of landscape rather than some fish and colored gravel.
i am not sure what maintenance or equipment a regular fake plant tank needs but a planted tank needs proper light, proper fertilizer, good flow, correct temp and co2 is a plus but not needed. either way it probably is more work, but imo totally worth it.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Here's a link to my heavily planted tank as I don't want to clog the tread up with pic's ...http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

First you need to decide on what size tank. Sounds like you want something small to sit on a desk? Then decide what type of plants, low, medium, or high light plantsyou'd like and figure out what type lighting they need and don't be shy about asking lighting question once you get that far. Next is substrate, I use Eco-complete in my tanks but there are many brands and types available. I'd suggest them over sand or gravel as Eco and similar substrates have high CEC capacities, meaning they can absorb nutrients out of the water and hold them for the plants to use. For a small tank a HOB filter will work but any tank over 55g IMO does better with canister filters. You will eventually need to dose ferts, both root tabs for plants like swords and crypts and liquid to dose the water column with.

The difference between heavy fish tanks and planted tanks is that plants use the nutrients in the water giving the fish cleaner water. Now you still need to do weekly WC's but IMO plants are the best thing for fish.

I was thinking about getting one of those small bio cubes with the open top and the HOB filter. Actually I was gonna get that next week. I was thinking of getting a shrimp only planted.

There are several people on here with those, you should start a thread in the planted tank forum asking people about their cubes and ask for pictures to give you ideas.

Back
Top Bottom