Starting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warchild426

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm starting up my aquarium again and I need some advice. I've heard a lot of people tell me that when you start up old tanks, old tank syndrome usually comes along with it. What's the best way to start from scratch and what do i need to clean my tanks to avoid the devastating effects of ots ?

Hm, I've heard of new tank syndrome, I wasn't familiar with OTS, but after a quick search it seems that OTS just occurs from the negligence of the aquarium owner to keep up with the required weekly water changes and gravel cleaning, etc. I could be wrong though.

Are you using an old aquarium or are you starting new with everything?

The first thing you'll need to do is set up the aquarium and cycle it. The best method (IMO) is a fishless cycle. Here's a link to a guide that will get you started: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html Good luck.

Is this a tank that was used before but has been empty for awhile? I'm also unfamiliar with OTS.

If it's just an old tank, a good scrubbing with bleachy hot water and then rinse the life out of it, and you'll be good to start your cycling process.

Yes, the 55g which I'm starting up 1st was in use for aprox 5yrs. Housing mostly African cichlids. I upkept the tanks faithfully. After I got rid of my fish I never emptied out the tank. Gravel and rocks are still in it.

Just a person thing with me perhaps but I would not use the same gravel. Not unless you had rinsed it out really well after you had emptied the tank.

The rocks I would scrub under hot water.

Back
Top Bottom