starting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First of all I'd just like to say that I am really enjoying this site and I find all of the advice here really helpful and informative.

Now... I am about to start a freshwater community tank. It is still a ways off as I'm not even finished building the canopy yet, let alone begun cycling but I am trying my best to plan ahead. I am looking for input/suggestions on my idea for my community... here's the info:

size: 55 gallons
filter: rena xp3
airpump/heater: undecided
light: 36' T-5 dual strip
substrate: flourite/gravel mix

The kind of fish I am thinking of are:
-assorted tetras
-assorted barbs
-2ish bala sharks
-1 or 2 african dwarf frogs
-1 or 3 gold mystery snails

I would really like this to be a planted tank but I have never tried plants before. I am a little worried about what kind of plants I should try, and whether my fish will eat them.

Also, I am planning to take some water from my dad's 33 gallon community to kick start my cycling. Does this really work? Is there anything I should watch out for with this?

SO... does anyone have any suggestions about my plan? Is there something that looks like a bad idea? Or (even better) are there any suggestions on what could be better about it? Other fish ideas? Etc?

edit: Oh, and I'd like some kind of bottom feeding somethingorother to help with keeping some of the algae in check.

Welcome to AA if no one has told you yet!

I like your set up at this point, good filtration and adequate lighting. For a heater, I recommend the Hydor ETH 300 filter. It is inserted in your outflow from the XP3, and does a very good job of keeping the tank temp consistent (I have the same set up on my 75g).

Your tank will definitely be ready for plants once it is cycled. BTW, are your going to fishless cycle this tank? Check out this link if you haven't heard of it yet. I know the article says salt water, but it works for FW as well. And many people on this site swear by it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

As for fish to put into your tank, I am partial to cardinal tetras myself. However, many recommend rummy nose as well. Tiger barbs or Green tiger barbs are always a good addition to a tank, although I don't know how well they will get along with the sharks (I have heard that the sharks can be territorial - someone chime in here!).

Also, you could add some bottom feeders such as loaches or cory cats, but again, the sharks may pick on them at first.

You sound like you are well on your way, and keep asking questions...trust me, it helps and the people on this site are awesome! :)

It looks like a nice setup. You can plant the tank from day one. I have never used an inline heater but I hear they are great and less clutter in the tank.

If you mix the flourite be sure to use at least 50% flourite or you are wasting you money using it all.

Balas need to be in groups of 3 plus and get quite large so I would pick another fish instead. Rainbows can get a nice size, school well and are quite colorful.

For you cycle please do it fishlessly. Borrow some of your Dad's gravel and filter media, the water is a waste of time no bacteria in it. The used media from you Dad's tank should give you a real kick start.

Just a note about cycling w/ used tank water. An even better way would be if your dad could give you one of his filter cartridges and use that. The little bacteria you want are surface residers. Much more on objects in the tank than free floating in the water.

Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes, I am planning a fishless cycle. I am not expecting to have any fish in this tank for quite a while, as I would like to give the plants a running start since this is my first attempt at a planted tank!

Are any of these fish mentioned known for eating plants?

I was told that bala sharks are a good community tank fish to have, but if they're going to pick on anyone else then I'm not interested. Too bad... I really like the look of them. I will research rainbows a little more and see what I find out.

I'm not sure how I would use my Dad's filter media since it is a different kind of filter. It is an aqualife or something else small. Would I just take the media out of it and stuff it in one of the shelves of my Rena? Darn... I thought for sure that the water would be helpful.

I am still not sure what I need in an airpump for a planted tank. Someone also told me that if you do it right you may not need one, or only need to run it at night? Could that really be true?

I am shooting to start cycling by Sunday. This is also my first time building a canopy so I have really taken on a big project!

Yes just take the pad and stuff it in your filter. Make sure you replace Dad's with a new one.

An airpump is up to you. If you add CO2 then you will only want to run it at night, but is never really needed during normal operation of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom