Starting up a new 180 gallon tank, need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLAYER6669

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'm sure it's a common story, but I had a tank while I was younger and I have wanted to get back into the hobby for a really long time now. I finally have the space to do it and rather than constantly itching to upgrade, I have decided to go all in with a 180 gallon freshwater tank. I just picked up a stand and canopy off craigslist last week so I headed over to my local Aquarium store and ordered the tank the same day and it's there waiting for me now. That is all I have so far and that's why I am here.

Having been out of the loop for so long, I need some advice on what equipment to buy. I am trying to decide on what I will need for filtration, lighting and heating. I can't say for sure what route I am going as far as fish yet. I am trying to decide between doing a large community tank with schools, or possibly a Cichlid tank.

1. I wanted to have at least two canister filters on this tank. I have my eye on the Fluval FX6 but the price tag is a bit hefty. I figured two of these would easily "over filter" a 180 gallon tank. Is there any other options someone can recommend? I certainly want to get one FX6, but maybe something else a bit cheaper as a secondary?

2. As far as lighting, with a 180 tank being 24" deep, would I need to do two full rows of lighting? Then do I get 6ft long fixtures, or two shorter fixtures for each row? I like the idea of LED lighting to keep the electricity costs down. If I end up going community tank, I would probably only do low maintenance and low light plants and not right away. I want to get the tank up and running first.

3. What wattage heaters would be good here? I plan to get two heaters and a controller as well. I live alone so in the winter I am used to lowering my heat down to low 60s since I am at work most of the day and no one is here. I probably will not go so low with the tank here now.

That is all for the moment. Still in the planning stages right now so I'm sure I will have plenty more questions as I fumble my way through. Thanks for reading.

Frank

I have a 110 tank, still pretty big, that I am setting up for Cichlids. My specs are as follows:

Aqueon 48" LED light with 2 day, 1 blue.
2 300W Fluval Heaters
Marineland 530 Canister Filter

I am pretty happy with my set up so far. Still doing a fish less cycle.

95003-albums14114-picture67380.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Nice looking tank so far. I'm torn with spending the extra on two FX6's. They seem to run about $340 each.. It's not like I expected this to be cheap when I decided to go with a larger tank but maybe I will keep my eye out for a used FX5/6 to cut the cost a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom