Starting up a tank - cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latvian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am starting up a new 54L tank. I have followed the articles on this forum on how to fishless-cycling a tank. I have added ammonia to the tank and been keeping the tank running (with no fish) for more than 15 days now and the ammonia level is still > 5 ppm! I did 50-60% water changes two times and the ammonia level is still high.

Is this normal? Do I need to completly empty the tank and re-fill it with water?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi,

I am starting up a new 54L tank. I have followed the articles on this forum on how to fishless-cycling a tank. I have added ammonia to the tank and been keeping the tank running (with no fish) for more than 15 days now and the ammonia level is still > 5 ppm! I did 50-60% water changes two times and the ammonia level is still high.

Is this normal? Do I need to completly empty the tank and re-fill it with water?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just let it run and forget about it for a couple weeks. Test then add ammonia as needed.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish less cycling, whilst definitely the best and safest way to cycle a tank, can be slow to get off the ground. Without a bacteria source you are relying on naturally occurring bacteria to populate your filter which can take some time. I am not a fan of bacteria starter cultures as they are so unreliable but a small piece of seeded filter media from another tank put into your filter is a very good way of giving the cycle a kick start.
However, your tank will cycle eventually but it can take a long time. There is no exact amount of time as all tanks and setups vary so much.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom