Stef's first planted tank - 50g build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After two, count them, TWO 90% water changes, my nitrates are still almost too high. I've got a kickin' filter going I guess.

ForumRunner_20120208_152704.jpg

Do you guys think I should do one more? Maybe 50% before adding fish?

Oh and any ideas as to why my ph would drop with a water change? Its been a steady 7.8 until I started trying to get rid of the nitrates, now its 7.4

It looks like you're at 20 ppm? If so, it's a little high but within tolerable levels for fish. Wouldn't hurt to do another though.

I finally have fish! A dozen cherry shrimp and 8 tiny celestial pearl danios and an albino bn pleco for now. I added some plants and swapped out the big log. I have some java moss as well, just haven't added it yet.

ForumRunner_20120211_190724.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_190736.jpg

ForumRunner_20120211_190758.jpg

Looks really good. Tons of room for plants to grow on the left.

My tank is stable (0,0,5 consistently), the brown stuff is almost gone and I am now stocked! Yay! :D

12 Red Cherry Shrimp
1 Albino BN Pleco
4 Ottos (All fat and happy)
8 Celestial Pearl Danios
6 Lemon Tetras (will add 4 more next time my lfs gets some in)
3 Painted Swordtails
and 2 Honey Gourami I fell in love with! (I'll post pics once they settle)

Now I get to sit back and enjoy all my work and wait for the plants to fill in. :popcorn:

I did sadly lose two ottos the first night I had them even tho the water all tested okay and I acclimated them slowly. I got two more, and so far so good with the four little guys.

I like what I've seen so far. Can't wait to come over and see in person though. I'm excited!

Pics!

I need more plants.....and a better camera
img_1813145_0_4ad331c7822a056c88de37ac21a0868f.jpg

My painted swordtails - Love them!
img_1813145_1_ba631f1d623d30fd1935e048aeedf268.jpg

My honeys - hope they get comfy soon and come out more
img_1813145_2_90f22a1e03f46e42c38e372f4958785a.jpg

My four remaining lemons and some danios
img_1813145_3_e73e972f9fe9fb876d1436503334f66c.jpg

This little guy is starting show quite the personality, very glad I got him/her - and one of my remaining ottos is in the background
img_1813145_4_5f039e5f4151e990622b45cda738f752.jpg

My shrimp have all gone into hiding, except for a few bold females, due to the big scary swordtails for now. I'm hoping they'll come out again once everyone is settled in.

I'll be arriving with plants in about a month. I just added co2 to my new tank so my plants will grow rapidly and be ready for transport.

I like your tank a lot. Can't wait to see it. Maybe you'll have teeny tiny shrimp babies when I get there :lol:

Yay! I may have some for you as well, want any amazon swords?

I told you I saw a berried shrimp, so I hope so. I think I have enough hiding places considering I can't find a single adult at the moment :lol:

Are they low light plants? I have some space in my 10 now.

:ermm: Moderate and actually would outgrow your 10

I may have some bacopa for you, it's undemanding. I may also have some wisteria available by then too, but it's also moderate. My ludwigia is growing slower, so I probably won't have any of that yet.

Do you have any floating plants? I'm in need of those for my gourami

No, nothing floating except duckweed, but my filters keep sucking it up so I really don't have much. I suppose you could let java moss float, but it wouldn't do well. I'm actually not sure what a good floating plant would be.

Speaking of java moss, did you want some of that too?

The little bit of duckweed I have gets sucked up too. I'm good on java moss, but thanks anyway.

I pulled my pennywort and am letting it float for now, there just isn't much. when I do catch the honey's out tho, they're under it :) and I'm pretty sure I managed to get a male and female, yay!

As much as I want a betta, I may put my honeys in the 10 when I get it set up and see if I can get them to breed. I think I have too much flow in the 50 for a betta to be comfy, and maybe the honeys too. I have to do more research first tho, I am finding mixed reviews on the minimum sized tank the honeys should be in.

Cool. So I'm bringing Rotala Walichii, Java fern and Stargrass. I got some Cambomba recently and could bring a piece of that too if you want. Not much though, unless it does amazingly well in my tank in a month.

Back
Top Bottom