Still losing it..update :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jntmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, here we go again with my ever-cycling 30 gallon! I've had readings now for the past week that go somewhat like this.

Ammonia 0 (I have been adding some daily)
NitrIte .50
NitrAte 40

SOOO, I have been waiting patiently for my nitrItes to go to 0 so I can FINALLY add my puffer fish.

I just checked my readings today (I added ammonia yesterday afternoon) and huh????

Ammonia 2.0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 0

What in the world happened?????? I have not done anything different. I've been adding the same amount of ammonia every day and have done NOTHING to the tank. I do not think I'll ever be able to add fish to this tank!!!!!! :twisted:

Are you sure the test kit is still good? It seems extra odd that the nitrates have gone away. :?

I know one of my test kits was bad, you never know how heat or other things might affect them. Maybe try taking a sample to your lfs if they'll do it for free, most will.

I looked at those readings this morning and just cannot figure out what may have happened. Aside from getting a second opinion at the LFS, run your tests again this evening and see what the results are.

Okay, I decided not to be mad when I went to bed and redid them this morning (I was REALLY hoping to get my puffers yesterday).

Here are my readings this morning

Ammonia 2.0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 5.0

I redid them twice just to make sure I did them correctly. Does this mean I have somehow started to cycle all over again??? (at least I have NitrAte this morning)

Hmmm. If I remember correctly, you are doing a fishless cycle with straight ammonia. Are you still adding the ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom