Still need help with cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nostromo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ammonia is dropping from 4pmm to 0 in 24hrs, this is happening every time I add ammonia. My nitrites are high, my nitrates today are 10pmm, I have been doing so many water changes because my nitrites are always high but I am bringing the level of my nitrate down as a result of this. My nitrates were at 20pmm a couple of days ago but because of my recent water changes I have brought them down to 10pmm. Should I wait for the nitrates to get high before I do another water change? According to the fishless cycle on this site, I need to keep the ammonia at 4pmm, because if it stays at 0 I will lose my bacteria, but if I keep dosing ammonia to 4pmm like the cycle says I am keeping the nitrites high. So do I let the ammonia stay at 0 so the nitrites will fall to 0? This is my first ever cycle so that is why I need help from people who has done this, as to what I need to do to get through this to get the cycle reading ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and my nitrates below20pmm thanks

You can go to 0 PPM Ammo for a few days, your bacteria will be fine. Adding more Ammo just means that your nitrItes will go higher faster.

If you need to, maybe dose Ammo to 0.25 PPM once every 3 days.

Keep nitrItes below 5 PPM, do big water changes.

Also, when you do water changes, be sure to treat the water with Prime or something like it to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Both are bacteria killers.

Back
Top Bottom