Stinky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Futurekitmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 3 week old 20 gallon aquarium with 4 mollies, 2 patties, 4 corycats and a couple ghost shrimp. I do gravel clean up every week, do not over feed and change water frequently. Why does the water stink and what can I do?

How big is ur filter? And how long has the filter pads been in there for. My water stinked a little the other day so I took some water from my tank and cleaned it I do that once a month but dont use tap water ur kill the bacteria in the filter.

I use a penguin 150 in a marineland 20 gallon with 2 filter carbon cartridges to cycle through. I do gravel cleaning weekly and water changes daily. I do use tap water. But I treat it with the tap water chemical from petsmart. The water just smells kinds fishy and ammonia like...my ammonia is slightly elevated as well as nitrates thanks to the cycle so I do water changes every day. What else can I do?

How long has the filter pads been running are they really dirty? Take a buccket put ur fish tank water in it and put ur filter had in the bucket shake the filter and clean it just using the water from ur tank

I did the cleaning and it did help. The cartridge is about 2 weeks old. Not that dirty. Should I replace them?

No never replace unless its absolutely falling apart. If u replace them your throwing away beneficial bacteria. Thats how the filter companys make money they say replace every month but thats false

I would recomend rinsing the current media out in water taken out during a water change as rinsing the media can decimate the bacteria (due chlorine in tap water) present in the media which is crucial in transforming harmful waste products.

Also as the tank is only 3 weeks old, i imagine that it is yet to be fully cycled. You may want to research this further. The currently developing bacteria may be finding it tough to deal with the amount of waste currently being produced. The smell should go down as the cylcle reaches its conclusion (this may take another 6-8 week). All the best with the tank.

Ok thanks very much for your help. I ended up just rinsing the filter with plain water and putting it back. We will see. With the water change it is doing much better!

I had trouble with this before with a tank I have, params were perfect. And I had cleaned it and the filters regularly. I bought some extra carbon to use, I put it in a stocking and behind my filter media. That's helped a lot! Never smell a thing! So if u continue having problems that's an option also.

Back
Top Bottom