Stocking 2 new tanks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

need4mospd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got 2 new tank setups(5G and 20G) and I'm wondering what I should fill them with.

The 5 gal is going to work and will sit on my desk. I really don't want a betta, but I'd like something around that size to put in there that is easy to take care of(won't be able to feed on the weekends).

The 20 gal is pretty much open to anything. I like gouramis, so I'm thinking 3-4 of the same color gourami and a couple small algae eaters.

Any opinions?

white cloud tetras would go excellent in the 5 gal. they actually dont even need a heater, and will do well in almost any conditions. i like them becuase i can keep them in the cooler water that my cory's love. you could probably keep 5 or so of them in that 5 gal, and are a lot more active and interesting than a betta. they are so easy to take care of. and i wouldnt worry about missing feedings on the weekends, any fish that is well taken care of should be able to fast for two days with no problem!

I like the white cloud idea - they are one of my favorite fish!

You could do a couple of dwarf frogs, or Endler's livebearers, shrimp, snails. Do you have a heater for your 5gal? That will make a difference. I have a 25w on my 5gal.

TankGirl said:
I like the white cloud idea - they are one of my favorite fish!

You could do a couple of dwarf frogs, or Endler's livebearers, shrimp, snails. Do you have a heater for your 5gal? That will make a difference. I have a 25w on my 5gal.

Would the dwarf frogs be semi-easy to take care of at work? At home it would be no problem to do along side my turtle, other fish, and snake. But at work, I've got to trek 100+ feet to get to a sink.

I do have a small heater for the 5gal, I think it's 10-15 watts.

I don't think dwarf frogs would make things any more difficult than any other fish. You still have to do water changes no matter which way you go. You don't have to feed them live food or anything - it is a matter of sinking pellets, and they are certainly interesting, which is a plus for a tank at work :)

I wouldn't put 3-4 gouramis in a 20G. Gouramis can be super territorial. Putting 3-4 of them in a small aquarium will more than likely end up with bullying and quite possibly, the death of some of those fish.

Mike

I am totally with you on the gourami issue, Momotaro, and we have failed to address the issue of the 20 gal (so many tanks, so little time!).

I have one dwarf gourami in a 55 and believe me, he is a tough customer all by himself.

Back
Top Bottom