Stocking 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puffball

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm back to the aquarium hobby. I used to have a female beta sorority last year but that failed. :-( Now a few months later, I'm back. I still have a few remaining plants from back then "anubias, java fern, vals", but not that many. I want to restock my 20 gallon high tank with fish. I have a heater and Aquaclear 20 filter with extra media. Any fish suggestions? I want low maintenance, hardy fish that are also pretty too look at. I don't want to buy any more supplies other than fish, maybe more plants, and food. I'm currently starting a cycle with household ammonia.

ForumRunner_20130926_200113.jpg

Edit: Betta, not beta

beta is actually the correct term ;) are you looking for schooling fish? a centerpiece? or just a random assortment?

I'm thinking about of around 5 male guppies and maybe two dwarf gouramis and/or some school fish

Also, are you sure it's not Betta? Because the species is Betta splendens and a lot of other things lead me to believe it's spelled Betta.

It depends a lot on which fish you like. Schooling? Semi-aggressive? Community fish? Livebearers? Do you want any breeding to occur or would you rather not deal with that?

And it is betta (pronounced bed-da) not beta (bah-tuh). And I have seen betta sororities fail - it isn't pretty. My attempt in a 20 failed too, but the one in my 56 has been pretty stress free.

It depends a lot on which fish you like. Schooling? Semi-aggressive? Community fish? Livebearers? Do you want any breeding to occur or would you rather not deal with that?

And it is betta (pronounced bed-da) not beta (bah-tuh). And I have seen betta sororities fail - it isn't pretty. My attempt in a 20 failed too, but the one in my 56 has been pretty stress free.

I would prefer to have no breeding occur in my tank because I won't be able to rehome the fish and I don't want to watch them be eaten by their parents either. So that's why I want male only guppies so far. wouldn't want an entirely schooling tank, nor do I want semi-aggressive fish either.

In that case I would recommend male guppies, maybe a school of cories for bottom dwellers, a school of small schoolers like neon tetras or celestial pearl danios, and maybe a centerpiece fish of a dwarf gourami OR a ram OR a (well behaved) male betta. With this stock you would probably have room for a couple more small non schooling fish. Maybe add a mystery snail for an interesting invert.

Back
Top Bottom