Stocking 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drannor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently cycling a 20g tank in my office at work am looking for some stocking advice given the following particulars:

Tank: 20g FW
Filter: Eheim Aquaball 2212 (pad, pad, substrat pro, substrat)*
pH: 7.5 - 8.0
GH: 10 - 11
Temp: 74 - 78 F
Environ: a few fake reed plants to hide the aquaball, a small piece of driftwood, and delkoline blue gravel, black backing on the tank.

The high pH and GH are concerning and limit my choices somewhat. If possible I'd like to avoid having to do a great deal of water conditioning as officemates may be called on to look after the tank in my absence. Ideally I'd have a school of 6 to 8 colorful fish plus a 2 to 3 other fish (Maybe a bottom feeder?)

I've had good luck with barbs and other asian fish, but my fear is that keeping a smaller school of barbs will exacerbate their tendency to nip on each other. People have suggested tetras, keyhole cichlids, etc. Again, my desire is a main group of schooling fish plus a couple of interesting tank mates. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!!

BTW, I'm not a total n00b, I keep a 55g FW at home with rosy fin barbs, black ruby barbs, gourami, red tail shark, botia, plecko, and a small school of rasboras. The home tank is closer to 7.0 pH, and it's hardness is much lower allowing more possibilities. I run an Eheim 2126 on this setup which is very forgiving. (Yes, I am prone to filter overkill)

*I realize regular Substrat is not ideal media for the aquaball (it clouded up the tank for a bit) but I pulled it from my home 55g tank to kickstart the cycle.

Have you thought of maybe having 2 schools of smaller fish, like Tetra's? Or even one large school of one specie? Then maybe some shrimp or snails?

Back
Top Bottom