Stocking 55 Gal again, 3 losses already!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbimflyer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I had a 55 Gal setup already with one Pacu in it which I sold. So I overhauled the aquarium and set it up rather nice for restocking new fish. I did a 50-60% water change but I think I made a mistake, b/c I've lost 2 Clown loaches at separate times and a red-tailed shark within like 2 days of introducing them to the tank. So I called the pet store and told the owner who suggested I bring in the Dead fish and bring in a sample of the water.

So I did that today, and he said the PH was too low and shouldve been at 7 or higher. He asked me if I had driftwood in the aquarium, and I told him yes. He then advised me to remove it Asap, then do a 25% water change. Also begin to up the PH immediately after. Needless to say he didn't replace the fish, but I have questions now b/c I don't want to lose anymore fish. I have a small planted tank at home and have never had water issues that resulted in losses.

What was your PH? If it was 6.5 or below biological activity slows and if ph is 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begins to die off. So depending on how low ph was you may have to re-cycle or wait for BB to build back up after ph is raised. Also did he use a liquid test or test strips? Test strips are often unreliable just so you know. You really need a test kit so you can get your water readings done as needed. Sometimes ph drops at the end of cycling. A lot of things could be the cause of a low ph.

What was your PH? If it was 6.5 or below biological activity slows and if ph is 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begins to die off. So depending on how low ph was you may have to re-cycle or wait for BB to build back up after ph is raised. Also did he use a liquid test or test strips? Test strips are often unreliable just so you know. You really need a test kit so you can get your water readings done as needed. Sometimes ph drops at the end of cycling. A lot of things could be the cause of a low ph.

He said it was at 6, and I need to use some additive to bring it up.

It's actually pretty funny and sad to see the Zebra Danios zipping around playing as if there is no water issue. :facepalm:

Test your tap water first. Put some in a cup and either aerate it or stir it occasionally over the next 24 hours. This allows the water to gas off. Then take your ph reading and see what it is. This reading is your true tap water ph.

Once you see what your tap water is at, if it's higher than 6 which I'm sure it most likely is, start doing some WC's. Do a 50% WC every day for a few days to naturally and slowly raise your kh/ph. You don't need to use chemicals if your tap water ph is high enough.

Now if you happen to have a low kh/ph tap water reading I can tell you how to either use Seachem Replenish or Equilibrium (depending on if your tank is planted or not) or you can use crushed coral to increase kh/ph.

So first do the tap water ph and then go from there.

Test your tap water first. Put some in a cup and either aerate it or stir it occasionally over the next 24 hours. This allows the water to gas off. Then take your ph reading and see what it is. This reading is your true tap water ph.

Once you see what your tap water is at, if it's higher than 6 which I'm sure it most likely is, start doing some WC's. Do a 50% WC every day for a few days to naturally and slowly raise your kh/ph. You don't need to use chemicals if your tap water ph is high enough.

Now if you happen to have a low kh/ph tap water reading I can tell you how to either use Seachem Replenish or Equilibrium (depending on if your tank is planted or not) or you can use crushed coral to increase kh/ph.

So first do the tap water ph and then go from there.

Ok

I also have an observation... the 2 khuli loaches never come out... I see one come out when the tank light goes out, but I'm not sure if the other one is dead already since I had the low Ph issue. I notice they like to hide somewhere behind the rock cave I set up, and I haven't seen it floating around anywhere dead. :confused:

Ok just lost 2 more Glofish. Noticed the heater was not on, which is set to 78 but the thermometer was reading 72. I'm not sure if that was too cool for them.

Back
Top Bottom