stocking 55 gallon - barbs or gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norcalg

Aquarium Advice Regular
While my 55 is doing its fishless cycle, I'm planning how to stock it. I had thought that I wanted a peaceful community tank but as I've spent more time watching the fish, I've started envisioning a more active/semi-aggressive blend. On that note, I've started two general stock lists, one with gouramis and one with tiger barbs as I'm under the impression that of the fish I like, those are the two that are (usually) incompatible.

Tank/water issues:
We have well water and the pH is consistently at 8.0. I plan on adding some driftwood and low-light plants to the tank but I'm not sure how much that will affect the pH. I would prefer to find fish that would be happy with those parameters rather than try and alter the pH and keep it consistent.
Also, the tank is set up in the middle of our living room - it is not usually quiet there. :)

Option 1:
danios or Red Minor Serpae Tetra or black phantom tetras (group of 6-12)
Tiger barbs (6)
cory cats (3-5)
loaches(3) - I think clown loaches get too big for my tank. I really like them though and am wondering if I'll be ready to upgrade to a larger tank by the time they need one or if kuhlii or yoyo loaches would be a safer bet.
Praecox rainbows (3-5)

Option 2:
tetras (glowlight or head and tail light or something else flashy and small) (6-12)
Praecox rainbows (3-5)
gouramis (dwarf) (3)
yoyo or clown loaches (3)
otos (3-5)
cory cats (3-5)
cherry barbs (5-8)

Any thoughts or guidance? What about rainbow sharks? If I add one last, will it still get territorial?

Thank you,
~g

I would up the number of tiger barbs if you go that route. When I had 6 they would tend to nip at each other and the other fish. They are very nice looking, but from my experience a bit more than semi-aggressive.

I would go with option 2 but would only get a single gourami. While they can live in small groups, its probably best to only keep 1.

7Enigma said:
I would go with option 2 but would only get a single gourami. While they can live in small groups, its probably best to only keep 1.

I agree. I have three in my 55-gallon and they have recently started chasing each other a bit. Not sure why it started so suddenly, but it did.

theotheragentm said:
7Enigma said:

7enigma, I read a few of your posts regarding your barbs being more aggressive. Were the cherry barbs included or was it all tiger?

theotheragentm said:
I agree. I have three in my 55-gallon and they have recently started chasing each other a bit. Not sure why it started so suddenly, but it did.

Will a gourami be happy by itself? I never really considered getting only one of any fish, except for the shark. I could do a non-dwarf variety, they seem to be listed as higher-pH tolerant.

Thank you,

~g

I have 5 tiger barbs and they do chase each other a lot, but don't bother anyone else. They have turquoise rainbowfish, striata loaches, cories and BN plecos for tank mates. Make sure you have more females than males, so that all the females aren't constantly being chased. My tigers will get along great for a while, then go into spawning mode for a week or so when the males fight and chase the females constantly. My tank is planted so the females have plenty of hiding places, and I've never seen any "battle scars" on any of them.

Cherry barbs won't bother anyone, they are very laid back little fish.

A blue, gold or pearl gourami would make a nice centerpiece fish for a 55, and would be happy by itself.

Yoyo, striata, kubotai or sidthimunki loaches stay much smaller than the clowns. I have two striatas and I love them, they are so cute and have great personalities.

newfound77951 said:
I have 5 tiger barbs and they do chase each other a lot, but don't bother anyone else. They have turquoise rainbowfish, striata loaches, cories and BN plecos for tank mates.

I had read that with enough barbs around, they'll stick to hassling them so planned on at least 6. Oh, those striata loaches are pretty! I haven't seen them around here.

newfound77951 said:
Make sure you have more females than males, so that all the females aren't constantly being chased. My tigers will get along great for a while, then go into spawning mode for a week or so when the males fight and chase the females constantly. My tank is planted so the females have plenty of hiding places, and I've never seen any "battle scars" on any of them.

Cherry barbs won't bother anyone, they are very laid back little fish.

A blue, gold or pearl gourami would make a nice centerpiece fish for a 55, and would be happy by itself.

Yoyo, striata, kubotai or sidthimunki loaches stay much smaller than the clowns. I have two striatas and I love them, they are so cute and have great personalities.

I've read that the full-sized gouramis are more semi-aggressive than the dwarf. Would one be happy with tiger barbs? I plan on planting with low-light plants, decorating with rocks and driftwood and artificial plants as needed.

Thank you!
~g

newfound77951 said:

I have 5 smaller striata loaches in my 20g tank which is lightly planted, with 2 homemade slate rock caves and a good sized piece of driftwood and I love watching them!

On another note, I have 2 dwarf honey sunset gouaramis in my 29g tank and they don't bother anything. They are gorgeous and I love them.

black hills tj said:
newfound77951 said:

I have 5 smaller striata loaches in my 20g tank which is lightly planted, with 2 homemade slate rock caves and a good sized piece of driftwood and I love watching them!

On another note, I have 2 dwarf honey sunset gouaramis in my 29g tank and they don't bother anything. They are gorgeous and I love them.

The striatas look really interesting. I haven't seen them available locally but it's amazing how many more fish I recognize each time I head back to the LFS that I would've sworn weren't available around here. If that makes any sense. The gouramis really are beautiful.

I think I'm narrowing my list of prospects. Now to determine how to add them and in what order...

Thank you,
~g

Back
Top Bottom