stocking 55 gallon tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish-4-life

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys im new here! Im getting back into the aquarium hobby with a 55 gallon tank and this is what i have in mind:

5 dicus
50 congo tetras OR cherry barbs
12 cory cats
2-3 clown loaches (i know these guys get huge and need a large tank but they grow VERY slow so i can exchange them, sell them, or upgrade to a larger tank...)
1 bristle nose pleco
2 kribensis

sound good? thanks!

im not sure. i got this inspiration from a guy on another forum. this is his stocking for a 50 gal:

100 cardinal tetras
6 discus
2 clown loaches
10 corys
2 rams

thats overstocked and he knows it but... but ya the point is his discus are very happy and doing great with the 100 cardinals...

fish-4-life said:
im not sure. i got this inspiration from a guy on another forum. this is his stocking for a 50 gal:

100 cardinal tetras
6 discus
2 clown loaches
10 corys
2 rams

thats overstocked and he knows it but... but ya the point is his discus are very happy and doing great with the 100 cardinals...

I would not even think about putting more fish in there if you had 100 cardinal tetras, there's practically no swimming room left for fish.

Your discus would be stressed out by all the activity in there. I would cut down on fish and make it a proven breeding pair or a shoal of four to five.

Clown loaches get way too big for a 55 and would recommend 6 for a 90 gallon minimum.

GBRs are sensitive as discus and I would only choose one to deal with.

What I would do:
x4-5 discus
x8 cardinal tetras
x8 cories

And call it a day. I would also hope you had optimal filtration.

I would not even think about putting more fish in there if you had 100 cardinal tetras, there's practically no swimming room left for fish.

Your discus would be stressed out by all the activity in there. I would cut down on fish and make it a proven breeding pair or a shoal of four to five.

Clown loaches get way too big for a 55 and would recommend 6 for a 90 gallon minimum.

GBRs are sensitive as discus and I would only choose one to deal with.

What I would do:
x4-5 discus
x8 cardinal tetras
x8 cories

And call it a day. I would also hope you had optimal filtration.

I'm not doing that stocking thats someone else...

I would stick to one school for now. IMO congos get very big and would choose between them or the cardinals and cories.

I'm not considering cardinals. That was someone else on another forum. Can I do cherry barbs, cory cats, discus and kribs?

Clown loaches grow very slow so I think they ccoukd bbe fine ffor awhile in a 55 gallon...

5 discus
40 cherry barbs
16 pygmy Cory cats
2 ribs
2 clown loaches

And replace clown loaches when they gget too big or I will upgrade to a 125 gal tank later.

fish-4-life said:
5 discus
40 cherry barbs
16 pygmy Cory cats
2 ribs
2 clown loaches

And replace clown loaches when they gget too big or I will upgrade to a 125 gal tank later.

IMO cut it down to 12 cherry barbs and 10 cory cats, depending on which cories you had in mind.

What are ribs?

The rest looks fine.

IMO cut it down to 12 cherry barbs and 10 cory cats, depending on which cories you had in mind.

What are ribs?

The rest looks fine.

Sorry I ment kribs. Can I do 10 albino cories? And 12 cherry barbs? That seems a bit less...

fish-4-life said:
Sorry I ment kribs. Can I do 10 albino cories? And 12 cherry barbs? That seems a bit less...
Okay, in that case I would say Kribs are fine. Watch out for when they spawn though, they can get super aggressive.

Sure you could do 12 cherries, but not sure about albinos. I would think 8-10.

fish-4-life said:
Thanks for all the help by the way!

No problem! That's what this forum is all about :)

Could I do more cherries or would that be over stocking? 55 is still quiet big and its going to be heavily planted so 12 cherries wouldn't be seen so much... could I do 20?

fish-4-life said:

That's much better you had way to much in mind before

Back
Top Bottom