Stocking 5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with having a betta.
Otherwise a small colony of neocaridina dwarf shrimp, like red cherries.

In my 5-gallon, I have 3 African Dwarf Frogs. Cute little dudes but best to have a tank solely for them (maybe add in an amano shrimp or two, like I have in mine) because feeding generally gets harder when in a community tank. They also do best with plenty of hiding spots and a low-vibration filter. Hope I helped!

In my 5-gallon, I have 3 African Dwarf Frogs. Cute little dudes but best to have a tank solely for them (maybe add in an amano shrimp or two, like I have in mine) because feeding generally gets harder when in a community tank. They also do best with plenty of hiding spots and a low-vibration filter. Hope I helped!

What else should I add so it is ready for dwarf frogs?

What else should I add so it is ready for dwarf frogs?
For your tank, since it looks like you have sand, maybe add a little pottery plate. They usually have them sold at Michael's for $.30. Since the frogs are generally slow eaters because their eyesight is poor, they're probably going to eat off the substrate and their food might get lost in the sand or they may just eat a bit so it'd be better to just get them a little plate so they know to come to it for feeding time (they should learn, as long as you keep the location consistent).

Also, they are omnivores so for food, you'll need some type of protein such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, or other things like misquito larvae, but those are harder to find. I recommend getting the frozen brine shrimp - my frogs love them and so do my fish in my other tank. You can also get freeze-dried, but that's generally discouraged because it can cause bloating and digestive issues. Another good food to feed them - although it should not be their main source - are the sinking frog and tadpole pellets.

Some plants, either fake or real, would be good as these little guys love to hide, although you will see them out and about! And they can also jump from the tank if there is no lid, so just make sure you have a secure lid with minimal openings.

If you're new to the frogs, I encourage you to get the bigger ones, and steer away from Petsmart or Petco as these frogs tend to be a bit fragile so getting ones from a better-rated LPS is always best, in my opinion. The little ones can get caught inside holes in filters, since they aren't strong swimmers, and the little ones may need to be fed more. Also, a strong filter current would likely affect a juvenile frog more than an adult.

The frogs are tropical so they'll need a heater to keep their water temperature consistent around 72-80° F. Lastly, since these are cold-blooded amphibians, they don't need to be - and shouldn't be - fed as often as you'd feed fish. They should be fed maybe once every other day, until their tummy (located on the left side of their body) is filled. I've even heard of people doing every other day during the week and skipping the weekend completely.

I hope I helped, and I know you just asked about the frogs but a little add-in about the shrimp is that you'd need some algae wafers for them if you don't have a significant amount of algae or live plants for them to snack on. The frogs will also snack on the algae wafers if they get dropped in near them.

Back
Top Bottom