Stocking 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.monty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,:wave:

My 60 gallon has been in storage (back room) for a little over 2 years! I'm getting the itch to get it up and running again! I've had it as a freshwater community tank and then had Jack Dempseys for 5 years or so!

I'd like to set it up as a community tank, have a pleco, some neons, things of that nature! I'm just putting it out there to see:

1) what type of pump/filter should I get? I'm going to buy a new one.

2) What fish do you think would be a great mix. I like schooling fish for it to look really nice and entertaining!

My step-daughter did see my aquariums when they were up and running, but only with the JD's, so I know she'll love it, as well as my 3 year old daughter. I think it will be a nice hobby to pass along, as well as proper knowledge.

Also, another question I have would be what would be the best way to cycle my tank? I never specifically did this, so I'd like to start on the right track! Sorry for all the questions, it's been a while!

I look forward to all your comments/suggestions!!!:thanks:

I have a couple 55g tanks and a Fluval 406 cansiter filter is perfect for that size tank plus it has alot of area for different types of media.

As for fish a nice community tank IMO would be something like this:

2 Angelfish
12 Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras
1 Sunset Honey Gourami or 1 Dwarf Gourami
8-10 Congo, Lemon, or Diamond Tetras for a larger fish with a different body shape
10 Cory Cats or Kuhli Loaches

This would be a good start with nice color or you could do some colorful male livebearers like guppy males and platy males instead of the 8-10 larger tetra's.

I'm googling some of the fish to see the colors, and I have to say I LOVE the dward gourami! I'm not sure if the LFS here have all these fish, so I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered their fish, and if so, is that a good route?

And I also have to add that I ABSOLUTELY love the fish you've chosen... what an amazing mix and honestly, exactly what I wanted!

I'm googling some of the fish to see the colors, and I have to say I LOVE the dward gourami! I'm not sure if the LFS here have all these fish, so I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered their fish, and if so, is that a good route?

And I also have to add that I ABSOLUTELY love the fish you've chosen... what an amazing mix and honestly, exactly what I wanted!

I'm glad you like them, I actually have alot of those species now in a couple different tank. As for ordering I noticed your in Canada so don't know about fish places up there but as for shipping I have most of my fish shipped in. Just be sure to check out a companies policy on shipping, DOA fish, guarantees, and such. Also see if you can find customers reviews on them. But this time of year is not the time for shipping fish, it's too darn cold and I know your even colder up there! You could ask your local fish store if they could order the fish you want. Many stores will do that for customers. Were it my tank I'd do the first list as I'm not a big fan of live bearers. Here's a link to my photo albums where you can see many of the fish on your list... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Albums

Thank you so much!!!

I was also looking at discus. I know that they require a higher temperature but the heat would be compatible with everything but the corys. Obviously I'd have to dial back so that I don't over stock it, but I think they look absolutely beautiful, especially with a school of cardinals!

Actually Sterbai Cory Cats like the higher temps and are often used in Discus tanks.

Oh awesome!!! I saw that in another tank after that.. it was just that the AqAdvisor was showing lower temps, but it might have been the wrong species!!!

Also, could the AqAdvisory info be trusted? I'm getting so excited but I know I have to wait to even cycle my tank. The last times I had my aquariums I never tested the water and never had issues, but this time I want to do it right, so I'm following the information that was linked to me earlier!

Thank you so much for all your input and quick replies! It's greatly appreciated!!!

That site is okay but not all it's info IMO is right and often their stocking levels are also off but it's a good way for newbies to get a general idea. If you want to do a discus tank you will have to go slow and honestly they will do better in a planted tank. There are a few plants that will do fine in higher temps also. But I have to say if your new to keeping fish I wouldn't suggest starting out with discus. You need to get a feel and working knowledge of fish keeping and tank maintainence before trying such a delicate fish, but that's just my opinion. You'd do better to start with angels and then down the road try discus.

I was thinking that also.. since I've been out of the loop for quite a while it would be better to start off the other way and work my way up! Thanks!

A nice stocking could be this, also

2 Bolivian Rams (Bottem Level)
2 Angels (Top Level)
10 Rummy Nose Tetras
10 Cardinal Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco

There is no way to top Rivercats stocking though... Without copying! Hehehe
As for ordering, a lot of LFS will order fish for you :)

Back
Top Bottom