stocking 8g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This a comment I posted on a thread about tiny fish. I still stand by it ;)

I have a 15 gallon column heavily planted tank & I have 2 Dario Dario (awesome little fish & very colorful but can be shy). 4 ember tetra, 7 mosquito rasboras, 4 Nannostomus marginatus (dwarf pencil fish), assorted shrimp (red fire, yellow fire, Rili, red & black crystal). And I just picked up 2 Parosphromenus parvulus Red Spotted Licorice Gouramis today.

If you want active upper level the mosquito rasboras are awesome. Very colorful & don't hide like so many smaller fish do. Oh & they were under $1 each so you can't beat the price! Here's a pic

image-674931601.jpg

Not sure if you decided on a stock yet as I only skimmed through the thread. But I think

1 dwarf gourami
6 cardinal tetra
2-3 nerite snails

Would work. Just stay on top or water changes!

Not sure if you decided on a stock yet as I only skimmed through the thread. But I think

1 dwarf gourami
6 cardinal tetra
2-3 nerite snails

Would work. Just stay on top or water changes!

Would any other tetra work just fine? Like a glowlite or something, my LFS tends to not carry a whole lot.
I haven't really decided on stock yet as not much has been suggested, mostly a lot of arguing haha.

Would any other tetra work just fine? Like a glowlite or something, my LFS tends to not carry a whole lot.
I haven't really decided on stock yet as not much has been suggested, mostly a lot of arguing haha.

Glowlights are fine. They are also pretty cool.

This a comment I posted on a thread about tiny fish. I still stand by it ;)

I have a 15 gallon column heavily planted tank & I have 2 Dario Dario (awesome little fish & very colorful but can be shy). 4 ember tetra, 7 mosquito rasboras, 4 Nannostomus marginatus (dwarf pencil fish), assorted shrimp (red fire, yellow fire, Rili, red & black crystal). And I just picked up 2 Parosphromenus parvulus Red Spotted Licorice Gouramis today.

If you want active upper level the mosquito rasboras are awesome. Very colorful & don't hide like so many smaller fish do. Oh & they were under $1 each so you can't beat the price! Here's a pic

Wow! Those mosquito rasboras look awesome! To bad all my lfs don't carry them. :(. I can't stop staring at that pic! Lol. And under a dollar! How is that possible?!

Wow! Those mosquito rasboras look awesome! To bad all my lfs don't carry them. :(. I can't stop staring at that pic! Lol. And under a dollar! How is that possible?!

I have become friends with the owners or managers of all 3 of our LFS so they let me see the lists & will always try to order different stuff for me. Try to see if they will special order for you. Never hurts to ask. I'm waiting for my next order that should be in today or tomorrow of new interesting stuff. Can't wait to see what they brought me :)

Amazon.com: Fluval EBI Nano Shrimp Habitat, 7.9-gallon: Pet Supplies

11.8 x 11.8 x 13.8 inches

I feel an all shrimp tank would be pretty boring.

Thanks. I stand by what I said. It's too small for most tetra species and common livebearers. Micro rasboras like mentioned above would be a good choice. Anything like dwarf cories wouldn't be a good choice because there is not much 'floor space'. Shrimp are actually pretty entertaining. I could spend hours watching mine.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but are these suggestions for an 8 gallon cube?

Boesemani Rainbowfish grow to 3", are schooling fish, & require minimum 30 gallon

Dwarf red or blue gouramis both grow to 2" & have minimum tank requirement of 10g so you would be ok but I have these & mine are much closer to 3". Maybe go for Pygmy or honey gouramis if that's what you're looking for.

Swordtails grow to 4" & require minimum tank of 20g.

Cherry barb generally prefer to school & tank size 30g

Neons can suffer from Neon Tetra Disease & are not very hardy at all. They prefer to be in larger schools of 6 or more. I still like them & have them in my 15g tank.

Mollies grow to around 5" & tank should be 30g

Guppies seem to do fine for me. Haven't had guppy disease yet. They're cheap & the color varieties are incredible. They do well with other fish. They suggest minimum tank 20g

Minimum tank is a suggestion & you can ignore it if you're willing to add extra filtration, do extra water changes, add live plants. More fish in smaller tank = more work. Ignore it within reason though. Rainbows are generally active, fast swimming fish & it would be really horrible to put them in a small tank

That is exactly what I was thinking! None of those are suitable for an 8 gallon!

Any other suggestions? I've gotten a lot of what I can't keep, but not a lot of what I can keep. And since I haven't really owned much in the means of fish I don't really have any ideas myself.

I would suggest nano fish like Chili Rasboras, Phoenix Rasboras, Ember Tetras, Lampeye Killi Fish, Rosy Loaches, etc.

Heavily planted dwarf puffer tank would be cool. You could do one for sure and maybe two if you plant it well enough.

Yeah but puffers are not the best beginner fish. They are really cool but you gotta have some experience.

Yup, not trying to suggest it as a "first fish," just giving the OP an appropriately sized fish so they can research another viable option. Maybe the OP does has some experience too?

Yup, not trying to suggest it as a "first fish," just giving the OP an appropriately sized fish so they can research another viable option. Maybe the OP does has some experience too?

If the op had experience, then he can definitely go for it. :). If not, look for fish around that size and smaller.

Back
Top Bottom