stocking 8g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought an a fluval ebi cube and im wondering what to stock it with im looking for something colorful and nice, this will be next to my computer. Maybe guppies or something? Id like to have multiple types of fish in it.
Thanks

Just bought an a fluval ebi cube and im wondering what to stock it with im looking for something colorful and nice, this will be next to my computer. Maybe guppies or something? Id like to have multiple types of fish in it.
Thanks

I don't like guppies one bit. All are prone to guppy disease and none are hardy. Most die in less than a year. I like neon tetras, cherry barbs, bosemani rainbowfish, cardinal tetras, Von rio flame tetras, dwarf blue/red gourami, sunset variatus/Molly, pineapple swordtail, neon swordtail, and lots of others.

I don't like guppies one bit. All are prone to guppy disease and none are hardy. Most die in less than a year. I like neon tetras, cherry barbs, bosemani rainbowfish, cardinal tetras, Von rio flame tetras, dwarf blue/red gourami, sunset variatus/Molly, pineapple swordtail, neon swordtail, and lots of others.

I'm sorry but are these suggestions for an 8 gallon cube?

Boesemani Rainbowfish grow to 3", are schooling fish, & require minimum 30 gallon

Dwarf red or blue gouramis both grow to 2" & have minimum tank requirement of 10g so you would be ok but I have these & mine are much closer to 3". Maybe go for Pygmy or honey gouramis if that's what you're looking for.

Swordtails grow to 4" & require minimum tank of 20g.

Cherry barb generally prefer to school & tank size 30g

Neons can suffer from Neon Tetra Disease & are not very hardy at all. They prefer to be in larger schools of 6 or more. I still like them & have them in my 15g tank.

Mollies grow to around 5" & tank should be 30g

Guppies seem to do fine for me. Haven't had guppy disease yet. They're cheap & the color varieties are incredible. They do well with other fish. They suggest minimum tank 20g

Minimum tank is a suggestion & you can ignore it if you're willing to add extra filtration, do extra water changes, add live plants. More fish in smaller tank = more work. Ignore it within reason though. Rainbows are generally active, fast swimming fish & it would be really horrible to put them in a small tank

Boesemani Rainbowfish grow to 3", are schooling fish, & require minimum 30 gallon

Dwarf red or blue gouramis both grow to 2" & have minimum tank requirement of 10g so you would be ok but I have these & mine are much closer to 3". Maybe go for Pygmy or honey gouramis if that's what you're looking for.

Neons can suffer from Neon Tetra Disease & are not very hardy at all. They prefer to be in larger schools of 6 or more. I still like them & have them in my 15g tank.

Guppies seem to do fine for me. Haven't had guppy disease yet. They're cheap & the color varieties are incredible. They do well with other fish. They suggest minimum tank 20g

Minimum tank is a suggestion & you can ignore it if you're willing to add extra filtration, do extra water changes, add live plants. More fish in smaller tank = more work. Ignore it within reason though. Rainbows are generally active, fast swimming fish & it would be really horrible to put them in a small tank

Mollies do NOT get 5 inches. Very false

Agree with all of this.
I would not recommend a Molly of any kind for an 8g cube. Cubes have a smaller footprint than most other tanks. OP you need to look into nano fish, shrimp or a betta.

what about some dwarf gouramis, endlers, dwarf corys, or making it a shrimp tank?

Or maybe a wild type betta pair? Betta Impellis or Smargdinia? They need a well secured top to the tank, but they are gorgeous and can be kept together in small spaces.

Sorry op. I was only thinking colorful fish and not the tank size. :facepalm: Most of them would actually get too big for an 8 gal. Oops. I have had neons live for over 1.5 years though. Maybe I got lucky or something.

Back
Top Bottom