Stocking a 10g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have put up this question over and over again and I always get responses that aren't super helpful. I have purchased a Marineland ten gallon aquarium kit. It is cycled and I am going to get fish this weekend. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408670045.151533.jpgHowever I have no clue what so ever I want. I would love to have tiger barbs but I am aware the tank is too small. So can you guys please help.

The tank has several small plastic plants and large piece of plastic driftwood the fish can hide inside of. I am aware that I will probably need to get some more hiding spots.

The fish I have been thinking about are:
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Dwarf Gourami
Cory Cats

In what combination can get any of these? What are some other species that could live with these? I don't have to have them all but I like each of them.

Sorry for the long post I have been having a hard time finding reliable information.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Urgent? Get a gourami and some dwarf corys
You can google certain fish care sheets and max size, that's what I do anyways;)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I have the same driftwood & my Corey's & Plecos love itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408670819.525846.jpg

Pleco's, even small varieties are too large with too heavy a bio-load for a 10g. Only small cory species such as Pygmy, Dwarf, Panda, and Julli are suitable for a 10g. I would put no more than 3 Panda's or Julli's and up to 6 Pygmy or Dwarf. You are very limited in the amount of fish you can use in a 10g. A dwarf or honey gourami, neon tetras (which you will get different opinions on), White cloud mountain minnows, Guppies, or any of the nano fish.

Urgent? Get a gourami and some dwarf corys
You can google certain fish care sheets and max size, that's what I do

Agreed.

If you'd rather have a shoal than a centerpiece fish, six Ember Tetra or Dwarf Rasbora would probably work.

Some stocking ideas here.

You can get a good estimate of your stocking limit here.

I agree with the above posters. I will add the platy as an option, but only 1-3 at the absolute maximum. Another fish you can keep is the betta, just don't put it with overly shiny tankmates. Also, a group of ghost shrimp is very fun.
Bleeding hearts really get too big IMO to thrive in a space like this.
I suspect you did not get "super helpful" responses in the past because a 10g has limited stocking options with commonly available fish. Most nano fish that would work well in small tanks like that are rather hard to come by, and require a well planted system to thrive.

Thanks for the advice guys. I already have a 20g tall at home but I'm living at college and 10 is the maximum size allowed. Thanks again!

You could have celestial pearl danios and sparkling gouramis. Really there are many fish that are perfect for a 10.

You could have celestial pearl danios and sparkling gouramis. Really there are many fish that are perfect for a 10.

They are, but I wouldn't put them into a tank this sparse, and they are tough to find unless you can order online. They do work for the space, but IME shyer fish need a lot more cover to actually thrive.

Back
Top Bottom