Stocking a 15 gallon aquarium + companions for zebra danios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Admara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
To get the basics down: I recently bought a TopFin 15 Gallon starter kit. It comes with a hood, corner filter, heater, and thermometer. The tank is up and running now (it was cycled properly before being stocked), and currently houses five zebra danios which I'm using for a research project on the effects of magnetic fields on nonmigratory freshwater fish.

The project will end soon, and I'd love to keep a nice tank and move it out of the seclusion of my bedroom to the living room. I bought the fish from my local fish store; the owner and I are on good terms and he's more than happy to swap the danios out for some livebearers when I've finished up.

Now here's the problem: my family likes the danios. They want to keep them, but they also want to add new fish. I've not been able to find much information on stocking a 15 gallon tank. Is it an unusual size?

I suppose I have a few questions, being a newbie.

Firstly, I've read some horror stories about danios beating up on late additions to their tanks, especially small tetras. Will stocking the tank with anything other than fast-moving, zippy danios result in violent behavior?

Second question: Are there any interesting freshwater fish you recommend for beginners that would mesh well with the existing group of danios?

And, lastly, if you started fresh and got rid of the danios, would the stocking options be more diverse? Do you have ideas or suggestions on how to stock it?

Thank you so much for reading, any and all help is appreciated!

Keeping Danios

Hello Ad...

This species is a very active shoaling fish, so a minimum of 20 gallons and a well planted top to bottom is best. The reason for the larger tank is Danios do best when there are a lot of them in the tank. 8 at least, a dozen or more is better. These fish are aggressive toward very small fish and any fry, so no small fish in with them. I put female Guppies in with them once and the Guppies were bullied until they got the size of the Danios, then they were fine. Larger fish are fine too, the Danios are active and make most larger fish feel comfortable. But again, you'll need a larger tank for a community tank with Danios.

B

Cardinal tetras. They r really pretty and fairly large. I have neon tetras and 6 zebra danios the Tetras r fine and even breeding

Back
Top Bottom