Stocking A 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So rainbows are not as aggressive as there made out to be?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No neither are red tails as long as you have caves you will be fine with a rainbow shark there will be no issues.

So iv been reading about heaters for larger tanks and a lot of people go either way. Should I get 2 heaters that add up to 150 and put 1 on both side or get say a heater that works for a 90 gallon and just use that 1

Place them by the 2 ports of the filter?

I'm going to try to get by with just one. I would prefer to not by another filter if I can do without.

As in, the in and out ports on different ends?

Good idea, just watch your temp because pandas need a temp under 77. Otherwise their lifespan is dramatically shortened.

So iv been looking around at the different kinds of aquarium rocks that can be used. Texas holey rock and red lava rock are the two that caught my eye. I really like the look of the Texas rock but it says that it changes a few elements of the water and should only really be used for chiclids. Is this true or is there a way around it?

So iv been looking around at the different kinds of aquarium rocks that can be used. Texas holey rock and red lava rock are the two that caught my eye. I really like the look of the Texas rock but it says that it changes a few elements of the water and should only really be used for chiclids. Is this true or is there a way around it?

Not necessarily. You can't exactly get around it, but it isn't really true. It acts as a buffer, and raises your pH to around 8-8.4. If your pH is already around 8, then there won't be a problem. If it's lower, then it will raise it considerably. What is you current pH?

I believe there is a way of processing with vinegar and soaking in a sanitized level of aquarium water that can curtail the ph increase, or if you're like me you can coat it in aquarium sealant (watered down and brushed on) and let it dry for a couple days and and then soak it for 24 hours in pristine water lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What sealant did you use? And did you just brush it on? Also does your rocks have a glossy appearance?

So I'm back at square one. After doing a lot of reading and research. And talking to the wife I'm going to try a planted tank

I don't really know much about this topic other then what I have read today. So if anyone has any tips or tricks please let me know

That's fine you have given me plenty of insight on everything else.

Evolution of my first 10g planted tank :) all of the plants pictured are relatively easy to care for plants with low lighting requirements and not very demanding on fertilizers. If you aren't interested in biotope tanks and just want to get an idea of the environmental effects with plants these are good plants to experiment with, in my experience- moss (java especially), anubias (any variety, but 'nana' is an especially good starter plant), ludwiga repens, nymphaea (tiger lotus), sword plants (mid to large established plants are easiest), tropica fern, Borneo fern and/or any other common java fern variant and wisteria.

I've come to notice these hearty plants will show eye popping color when you've hit proper parameters and will help maintain stable parameters while you experiment (giving you an almost instant reaction when you've done something 'wrong').

This specific tank was a 10g with an under gravel 10-20g air pump powered filter along with an ac10 with poly fiber, bio max and either the normal sponge or a purigen insert (when I made mistakes in fertilizing). I used a screen between both the under gravel filter and the bottom of the tank and the under gravel filter and the substrate.

Substrate consisted of a quarter inch of gravel on the bottom, an inch of first layer laterite followed by 2 1/2 inches of floramax red planted substrate.

A couple tips from my experiences- start with easy plants from cuttings or bulbs. Crypt plants, though very hearty, will generally 'melt' when they are first planted, keep your tank clean and you won't have as much of a potential for a mini cycle when they do. Cuttings that have been in water all along will generally not give you the problems that packaged plants do. Plants do better in cycled tanks, but can also help your water quality between water changes while cycling. Finally- if you think you have an aquarium collecting hobby now don't be surprised of your passion doubles once you've gotten the basics on planted tanks- biotope tanks are only a step away....

Hope that helps a little

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom