Stocking a 20 gallon tank. fish, plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really want one dwarf gourami got sure and I'd like to have 2 schools of very small fish if I can and some very small catfish. ANyone have suggestions on very small fish ? I saw the chili rasboras those are kind of cute. How many fish could I get and what do you all suggest ????

Also what are some very easy low maintenance plants that I could put in the tank and any decorations y'all would recommend ?

Small catfish - Oto's

They like to live in groups, but they're algae eating machines! If you want them it's worth reading about them and getting to know the species before buying them as they can often be delicate little critters... But once you have a healthy group of them and keep them fat and full they're pretty bomb proof!

For stocking advice I always use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor, gives a good idea of what will and won't live happily together!

Anubias, java fern, java moss, some of the crypts are all easy low maintenance plants... PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource is a great source of aquatic plant info..

Keep us posted!

I like the look of Ottos too, they're cute, but a lot of people have trouble keeping them alive. Not sure I'm going to risk it, at least not right away. They need a lot of the right kind of algae to feed on. Small Corys are probably the best bet; there are different kinds and some get too large for a 20 but some are the right size. Not sure of what offhand, you'd have to research a bit.

I agree that PlantGeek is a good source for plants. Aqadvisor should be used as a guide only, not gospel; their advice isn't always correct, especially in regards to stocking levels. Ask here to double-check.

Celestial Pearl Danio are another very small schooling fish. I'm getting some for my tank, they are cute. They stay very small though so be careful of what you put in with them or else they may become food. :D You could do a school of small fish (like the CPDs or Chilis) and a handful (4 or 5) of guppies or platy (I"m getting some Cobra Guppies; they're finnage is gorgeous), your centerpiece fish (Gourami) and 2-3 small Corys. That would be a great tank.

I'm not sure about the CPDs and gourami, but I'm quite sure chili rasboras would be eaten.

CPD and chili rasbora are both very small, the chilis don't even grow to one inch. These are extremely passive fish and even if they're not eaten, they're easily outcompeted for food. IMO either of them does best in a small species tank or a community of "nano fish" of similar size and temperament.

AqAdvisor should be used for entertainment purposes only IMO.

I'm not sure about the CPDs and gourami, but I'm quite sure chili rasboras would be eaten.

CPD and chili rasbora are both very small, the chilis don't even grow to one inch. These are extremely passive fish and even if they're not eaten, they're easily outcompeted for food. IMO either of them does best in a small species tank or a community of "nano fish" of similar size and temperament.

AqAdvisor should be used for entertainment purposes only IMO.

Hi SM, I don't mean to hijack the thread but you're probably the best person to ask this..... Would a large school of 8-10 CPD (in a 20 gal tank) be OK with 4-5 cobra guppies and a few corys? Or are they still too small? I really want CPDs but I know they are shy and want to be sure they'll be safe with anything else I put in there. Or would you not recommend them at all in a community tank (or what else could I put with them)? Thanks! Sorry again for the question. :D

In terms of plants I recommend, I have water wisteria in my tank and I really like it. I have a 29g and I'm just using the light that came with the hood. I think water wisteria is placed as a medium light plant but in my low light tank it has grown faster than other other plant and grew bright green large, bushy leaves. It looks fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom