Stocking a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm gonna be stocking my 29 gallon soon(still gotta get more equipment, and cycle), but I used my test kit to test the water, etc.

PH=around 7.0-7.2, and I was thinking of keeping these fish:

6 Glowlight tetras
6 harelquin rasboras
4-5 Cories(Saw some panda cories I wanted....)
1-2 Gourami's.
also maybe, some ghost shrimp? All opinions and suggestions are welcome.

I've read up on almost everything, and I think I have a good understanding of the hobby, so I cant wait to start into the hobby :D

PS. Any tips on starting the siphon? I'm a bit confused about that whole ideal, mine is a top fin siphon with a gravel vaccuum attachment, thanks.

I'll defer to more experienced folks on the stock list. What kind of gourami are you thinking?

On the siphon, here's what I do (and once you get the hang of it, it's easier to do than to describe):
1. clip end of hose into bucket (I forgot this last week and put a quart or so on the floor... :oops: )
2. submerge gravel vac and a few inches of hose in tank.
3. angle open end of vac toward water surface to let the air bubble out.
4. Lift the vac out of the water, open end up. This will start water moving through the hose.
5. As soon as the "leading edge" of the water in the hose moves below the level of the tank water, quickly submerge the gravel vac and your siphon should be started.

majolo said:
I'll defer to more experienced folks on the stock list. What kind of gourami are you thinking?

On the siphon, here's what I do (and once you get the hang of it, it's easier to do than to describe):
1. clip end of hose into bucket (I forgot this last week and put a quart or so on the floor... :oops: )
2. submerge gravel vac and a few inches of hose in tank.
3. angle open end of vac toward water surface to let the air bubble out.
4. Lift the vac out of the water, open end up. This will start water moving through the hose.
5. As soon as the "leading edge" of the water in the hose moves below the level of the tank water, quickly submerge the gravel vac and your siphon should be started.

Ahh....thanks!

And i'm not sure about the gourami, maybe a dwarf blue......or an opaline? Any suggestions?

Critter, I think your stocking list sounds like it would make a really interesting community. I don't have a lot of experience with gouramis, but I do think they make nice centerpiece fish. A dwarf blue or honey gourami would be nice, but I'm not sure if an opaline would outgrow the tank or not, maybe someone else can tell you for sure. Gouramis can be territorial to conspecifics, so I would only choose one for your tank. The glowlights and harlequins are very peaceful fish, but are also active, so they are a good choice. Panda corys are really cute and will be great bottom feeders for you, and the other fish won't pay much attention to them.

I'm glad to hear you read up on the nitrogen cycle; I only wish I had before I started my first tank. Will you be doing a fishless cycle? That would be the easiest way to do it, and would certainly keep any losses to a minimum. Just remember to stock slowly even after you cycle, as you will need to give your bio filter time to catch up with each new addition. Glowlights are tough fish, so I would stock them first. Wait a week or two between each addition, and then add the harlequins, then the gourami, and then the corys (they can be sensitive and are best added to a more established tank). JMO, and welcome to AA!

Alright then! Thanks so much guys, for the help and warm welcome :D

I'll be doing a fishless cycle, with the shrimp. If i'm correct, you just drop the shrimp in the tank(with everything running, aquascape set) and then just test daily for ammonia, nitrites, and finally nitrates?

EDIT: One more thing.....any comments on my idea about the ghost shrimp? I'd just like to have a little variety in the tank.....how many should I get, or are they even compatible? etc. Thanks!

A single opaline or a male female pair will do fine in a 29 gallon. I like your stocking list. I think the shrimp will be ok with those fish but there are no gaurantees.

rich311k said:
A single opaline or a male female pair will do fine in a 29 gallon. I like your stocking list. I think the shrimp will be ok with those fish but there are no gaurantees.

Alright, well maybe i'll nix the shrimp then :p

I'll post pics when I get everything set up though.

I got through my cycle this past weekend for my 29 Gallon and added 6 Lemon Tetras to my 3 Swordtails. It is amazing how pleasurable this hobby is, I even got attached to my live plants in the process. I can just sit back and watch this tank for hours, even the maintenance is fun.

Good luck on your tank and I hope that you have as much fun as I do.

Take Care!

Back
Top Bottom