Stocking a 38 Gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelJones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need advice on how many of each fish I can stock in my 38 gallon bowfront. I am upgrading from a 5 gallon, so I'm out of my element. I would like to have Platies, Swordtails, Guppies, Cory Cats and Ghost Shrimp, along with some live plants (Java moss/fern, water wisteria and Amazon sword). How many of each can I put in there safely? Can I go with all males or will they fight without females? If so, what is the female to male ratio to go with? Thanks in advance! :fish2:

I haven't really done much with live-bearers for a few years, but with cichlids -if we want to breed- a normal ratio is 1m/3f. I don't remember live-bearers being overly aggressive to each other, with or without females.
I would advise you to choose one or two species though, instead of three or more. Cory cats prefer to be in groups of at least 5, usually. Swordtails can get to a good size; up to 5" or so, if memory serves. So, a group of 5 corys and a group of 4-5 Swords will pretty much max out your tank. With guppies and platies, of course, you could add a couple more fish.

I haven't really done much with live-bearers for a few years, but with cichlids -if we want to breed- a normal ratio is 1m/3f. I don't remember live-bearers being overly aggressive to each other, with or without females.
I would advise you to choose one or two species though, instead of three or more. Cory cats prefer to be in groups of at least 5, usually. Swordtails can get to a good size; up to 5" or so, if memory serves. So, a group of 5 corys and a group of 4-5 Swords will pretty much max out your tank. With guppies and platies, of course, you could add a couple more fish.
Thanks! I think you are right about the swordtails... I will stay clear of those. What do you think of 6 guppies, 6 platies and maybe 5 corys for the bottom? Is that too much?

Back
Top Bottom