Stocking a 5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octopuscats

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a Fluval Chi not too long ago (5 gallon, the manual doesn't say how many litres the filter pumps). Originally I wanted to get two African Dwarf Frogs for it, but my LFS seems to be really flaky with stocking them and I'd rather have something in there sooner than later after I finish cycling. What can I get that will survive well in there? I'm planning on stocking it with live plants and sand, if that makes a difference. I know a beta can thrive, but I'm not sure what my other options are for type and number of fish.

There are several nano fish that can do well in a 5 gallon. There are a few different rasboras and danios that will do well. Try googling freshwater nano fish, there's one site, something along the lines of franksaquarium, that has a good list. They are pricey because they aren't as common, but well worth it to have a few little fishies swimming around your tank. Another option if you just want a single fish is a dwarf puffer.

Yeah, I think that chili rasboras, ember tetras, or celestial pearl danios are some good ones.

You can do a shrimp only tank or a pair of Scarlet Badis with some shrimp. I have the following nano fish all of which would work well.

Chili Rasboras
Neon Rasboras (Blue or Gold variant)
Purple or Red Arc Pencilfish
Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish
Burmese Rosy loaches
Pygmy Multi Striped loaches
Scarlet Badis
Ember tetra males

Rivercats--Is the rainbow you are referring to the Melanotaenia Praecox? I'm still learning about all the different rainbows, but my understanding of this particular one is that they average about 2 inches and are a schooling fish. Please correct my if I'm wrong, but I don't think they would be appropriate for a 5 gallon tank.

Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish, Pseudomugil cf. Paskai which is a nano fish. They are in the same family as Spotted Blue Eyes, Pseudomugil Gertrudae and others.

Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish, Pseudomugil cf. Paskai which is a nano fish. They are in the same family as Spotted Blue Eyes, Pseudomugil Gertrudae and others.

Very cool. When I googled Irian Red Neon Rainbowfish all I got was the Melanotaenia Praecox. Looks like I have a new family of fish to research! :dance:

Thanks a ton, guys! I haven't even heard of most of these fish, so it looks like I have a lot of research to do. Very excited to see which ones my LFS has in stock.

Thanks a ton, guys! I haven't even heard of most of these fish, so it looks like I have a lot of research to do. Very excited to see which ones my LFS has in stock.

If you have trouble finding them at your LFS, which is very possible since none are very common, you can order them online at liveaquaria.com or aquabid.com

Unfortunately I live in Canada, so a lot of live shipping is off the table unless I want to pay through the nose.

That stinks octopuscats. Maybe a local aquarium club or other members here would be able to set you up with some interesting fish.

That stinks octopuscats. Maybe a local aquarium club or other members here would be able to set you up with some interesting fish.

Yeah, I'm sure it's double bad with it getting colder and all... I live in North Carolina (southeastern US) so we have pretty warm weather :dance:.

Yeah, the weather's almost at freezing temperature nowadays. Not good for fish transport.

I went to the LFS today and they just got a great stock in! Now I just have to decide what I want. Not only did they finally get ADFs in, but they also got chili raspboras, cherry shrimp, and Glofish (which I didn't know where allowed to be imported into Canada). I'm basically trying to decide if I want frogs or a nice colourful tank. The Glofish (zebrafish) will probably be too big with a proper-sized school in a 5G, right?

Edit: Answered my own question with research. I don't think I'll have enough horizontal room for the Glofish. Looks like it's down to the ADFs and chili raspbora/cherry shrimp combo!

I have Chili Rasboras and love them. Perfect for a 5g with shrimp. BUT be sure to put a sponge cover over the filter intake so none of the rasboras or baby shrimp get sucked up and killed.

Back
Top Bottom