Stocking a 72gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevealper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently set up a 72gal freshwater aquarium and have just started to stock it. So far I have 6 tinfoil barbs(1.5" each), 3 cory cats(1" each) and one common pleco(3"). I am aware that the barbs will eventually get large, but the tank is very empty now. I originally wanted to add angle fish but am worried about the barbs nipping there fins. I have also thought about a bala shark or two. Would you recommend more cats, plecos or snails. I also have three plants(not sure what they are called)

I have an albino tinfoil barb who's about 4 " now and he gets along with 2 angelfish fine. Tiger barbs can be pricks tho.

I have recently set up a 72gal freshwater aquarium and have just started to stock it. So far I have 6 tinfoil barbs(1.5" each), 3 cory cats(1" each) and one common pleco(3"). I am aware that the barbs will eventually get large, but the tank is very empty now. I originally wanted to add angle fish but am worried about the barbs nipping there fins. I have also thought about a bala shark or two. Would you recommend more cats, plecos or snails. I also have three plants(not sure what they are called)

No angelfish with barbs unless you have a MASSIVE tank and a large school of barbs to keep the bickering amongst the school. No common pleco in there, they need more space than that. 125 or 175, I forgot the minimum.
Also, no bala sharks either. Not only do they prefer being in a small group of their own, they grow huge and need at least 200 gallons MINIMUM. They will outgrow that as well. If you want a shark, go for the red tail or rainbow shark.

Watch your ammonia level in the tank - plecos are big poopers and carry HUGE bioloads.

I do understand that these fish get big, but how long would it take to outgrow the 72. What fish would you recommend instead so the tank so my tank doesn't look so empty.

Back
Top Bottom