Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeekLikeThat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a 36 gallon bowfront and I am looking for advice on stocking the tank. It is currently in the process of a fishless cycle, so I am trying to plan everything out during this painful wait. Other than a 10g with a fancy goldfish for my daughter, this will be my first tank in a long time.

Because this is a fairly tall tank(20"), I really want to make sure I get some top, middle, and bottom fish to avoid large empty spaces. I'm not a fan of livebearers as I don't want to keep up with all the fry or end up with a way overcrowded tank.

Here's what I am currently considering.

4-6 Corys - Panda or Skunk
10 Bentos/Candy Cane Tetras
2 Pearl Gouarmis
2 Bolivian Rams (I'd prefer German Blue's, but I'm worried about them being more sensitive)

Anyone see any issues with this, or have any suggestions? According to aqadvisor.com I'm at 92%, but I know that's not necessarily correct.

Thanks.

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a 36 gallon bowfront and I am looking for advice on stocking the tank. It is currently in the process of a fishless cycle, so I am trying to plan everything out during this painful wait. Other than a 10g with a fancy goldfish for my daughter, this will be my first tank in a long time.

Because this is a fairly tall tank(20"), I really want to make sure I get some top, middle, and bottom fish to avoid large empty spaces. I'm not a fan of livebearers as I don't want to keep up with all the fry or end up with a way overcrowded tank.

Here's what I am currently considering.

4-6 Corys - Panda or Skunk
10 Bentos/Candy Cane Tetras
2 Pearl Gouarmis
2 Bolivian Rams (I'd prefer German Blue's, but I'm worried about them being more sensitive)

Anyone see any issues with this, or have any suggestions? According to aqadvisor.com I'm at 92%, but I know that's not necessarily correct.

Thanks.

Hi, first I would move the goldfish to the larger tank, they get pretty large. It get a 20 for
It. Other then that, 2 pearls grouamis wouldn't work either consedering that there not enough territory. For the tetras, rams , and cories, that should be fine. Also look at silver hatchet fish for upper schooling level fish

Hi GeekLikeThat, welcome to Aquarium Advice! :welcome:

I agree on the pearl gourami, and you might want to get a dwarf gourami instead. Also, are the rams going to be a pair (male and female)? If so, they might be aggressive to the corys when mating. If not, then they might fight anyway. Also danios are good top dwellers.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice on the pearls. I definitely wont be going with them.

I had been looking at danios, but was worried that a school of 6-8 might get to be a little much for the tank. My wife doesn't like the hatchets, so those are out, and I'm worried a single dwarf gourami wouldn't fill the top much. Was considering maybe some harlequin rasboras if they would stay in the upper half.

Any thoughts on the rasboras?

Nothing wrong with the harlequins but here are a few other options for great top dwelling fish:

Furcata rainbowfish
Threadfin rainbowfish

I really like the furcata (forktail) rainbows. Hopefully I can find them locally.

Here's my current plan then:

8 furcata/forktail rainbowfish
8 bentos/candy cane tetras
6 panda corydoras
2 bolivian/german blue rams

Any issues? I'm worried it might be a little overstocked.

I don't think it's overstocked, but I wouldn't add any more fish. So are the bolivians/german blues going to be a pair?

Probably a pair. From what I've read, they will get along better that way. Except for during mating as you said earlier.

Back
Top Bottom