Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Actual Human

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new here so if this is in the wrong place or I'm doing something wrong please let me know :p.

The plan is to build a tropical freshwater planted tank 1200x600x600 mm (432L), that's 4x2x2 ft (~115 gal). I am aiming for reasonably heavy stocking and have no problem with the associated maintenance, but I'm surprised by just how many fish I seem to be able to fit in this thing going off the advice of AqAdvisor and a friend with a 300L (80 gal). My wishlist is:

- 2x Apistogramma agassizii (double red)
- 2x Bolivian ram
- 1x Queen arabesque "pleco" (L260)
- 2x Royal "farlowella" catfish (Sturisoma panamese, not the *actual* Farlowella)
- 10x Sterbai corydora
- 10x Cardinal tetra
- 10x Lambchop rasbora
- 10x Kyathit danio (AKA orange-finned danio)
- 5x Honey gourami (4 "golden" females and 1 "sunset" male)

That's a total of 55 fish! AqAdvisor claims this is 84% stocking, but I trust experienced opinions over a black box website estimation. Any opinions on the compatibility and overall stocking density of the above list would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of notes - I'm not at all concerned about the bioload, this will be heavily planted and way over-filtered. I've heard mixed opinions about the compatibility of the rams and apistogramma, there should be plenty of line-of-sight breaking plants and hardscape as well as some nice caves on opposite ends of the tanks so they each should have some to call their own. I would also introduce both pairs at the same time and after everything else so there are no established territories being encroached upon by newcomers.

With the exception of the catfish there is nothing in your stocking plans that appears to be of any size, and the catfish is mostly tail. You arent planning on any huge schools of fish either. You also have a sump which aqadvisor hasnt factored into the water volume.

I dont really see an issue from a bioload PoV. Aqadvisor is considered conservative, and its the filtration more than water volume that tends to limit stock on the site.

I think your tank size is big enough and your school sizes small enough to manage any compatibility issues, but its something to look out for.

With the exception of the catfish there is nothing in your stocking plans that appears to be of any size, and the catfish is mostly tail. You arent planning on any huge schools of fish either. You also have a sump which aqadvisor hasnt factored into the water volume.

I dont really see an issue from a bioload PoV. Aqadvisor is considered conservative, and its the filtration more than water volume that tends to limit stock on the site.

I think your tank size is big enough and your school sizes small enough to manage any compatibility issues, but its something to look out for.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom