Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flcowgirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two tanks that I would like to do something different with.

The first one is my 46 gal bowfront. I currently have 1 adult angel, 5 tiger barbs, 3 black skirted tetras, 1 rainbow shark, and a common pleco in it.

Is there any kind of colorful fish that I could add to this to liven the tank up some? I can't come up with any good ideas.

I also have a 2 gal hex for my son's room. He loves his tank, but his betta died not long ago. I would like to get something (preferably more than one fish) that is pretty active and colorful to put in there. I know that the options with a 2 gal are pretty limited, so I am open to just about anything.

Thanks![/list]

rainbows would be a nice addition to that tank. How big is the common pleco?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=886

there is a site where you can buy them, and it also has info about them.

For the 2gal there isnt too much. I keep feeder guppies in a 2gal. You could get some endler's livebearers(that is if you can find them). I think that three sunset coral dwarf platies would be nice in there.

I would get some kind of gourami for your larger tank, maybe a couple even. They come in all sorts of colors (I wouldn't put dwarf gouramis in though). I have 4 in my tank and I especially like the pearl gourami. I bought some roseline sharks (they were pretty spendy though), but beautiful color!! Also, you could get a kribensis cichlid, totally peaceful (as long as they aren't breeding). There are a few suggestions though.

As far as the 2 gallon...I would suggest another beta or guppies.

What about a male/female combo of GBR's? (or do they need a bigger tank?
For which tank? Definitely not for the 2g...

First I would increase the school of barbs as they are nippy and I can't imagine keeping them with an angel. Increasing the number will hopefully keep them focused more on their group and not the angel.

Then if you plan on keeping the black skirts, you should increase the number to atleast 6. That would make them happier. Or if you want alot more color in the tank, swap the black skirts to some Praecox rainbowfish (6 of them) or a group of 4-6 of the larger rainbowfish. Or you can go with a school of more colorful tetras or harlequin rasboras.

A pair of rams would add color, but I wouldn't add them in with the rainbow shark, since they would share the same space and the shark may be aggressive. A pair of Kribensis might be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom