Stocking advice for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My ten gallon tank is almost done fishless cycling.

I'm thinking of having about 10-15 red cherry shrimp, 7 ember tetras, and 4 pigmy cories.
My LFS doesn't usually stock any of these, so I'll have to order them in. Should I get them all at once, or in separate orders?

If I order them separately, which ones do I get first?

I'm thinking of having about 10-15 red cherry shrimp, 7 ember tetras, and 4 pigmy cories.
My LFS doesn't usually stock any of these, so I'll have to order them in. Should I get them all at once, or in separate orders?

Ok order a couple one week and a couple the next week so you ammonia doesnt get to much for you good bacteria.

Get the emperors then pygmys and then the shrimp

No if you got a 15-20 gal tank you could get all the fish you wanted but for a 10 gallon 7 ember tetras,15 shrimp, and 4 p cories is to much

Oh oops and only get 6 ember tetras those 4 pygmys will be ok and only get 9 shrimp IMO

Doesn't sound overstocked to me. I'd up the Pygmy Cory Cats, but 4 would be fine. You need a centerpiece fish. Maybe a couple Scarlet Badis? They only get around an inch.

I know. The shrimp have virtually no bio-load. 5 or 6 would be fine. Those Tetras are very small too. The Pygmy Cory Cats get about 1 inch at the most. I don't see a problem with that stock.

Uh oh! No fighting! Lol!

That's why I'm on here, to get some opinions.

I'm not familiar with the scarlet badis. Gonna go look them up. Are they like gouramis?

So, fishman says too many fish, plantedtankman says I can add some.

Anyone want to chime in?

If I was going with cherry shrimp, pigmy cories, ember tetras, and possibly a scarlet badis, how many of each would be comfy in a ten gallon?

Uh oh! No fighting! Lol!

That's why I'm on here, to get some opinions.

I'm not familiar with the scarlet badis. Gonna go look them up. Are they like gouramis?

So, fishman says too many fish, plantedtankman says I can add some.

Anyone want to chime in?

If I was going with cherry shrimp, pigmy cories, ember tetras, and possibly a scarlet badis, how many of each would be comfy in a ten gallon?

Could you tell my what type of filter you have? Then I could give you my final opinion to what your tank stock could be.

Sure! It's a Tetra Whisper 10. Do you think I should upgrade?

That filter should be fine. You could upgrade if you wanted to though. I entered you tank info on Aqadvisor.com and if your stock was 5 Scarlet Badis, 5 Ember Tetras, 5 Pygmy Cory Cats, and 6 Cheery Shrimp, your tank would be 85% stocked. Here's some info about Scarlet Badis: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2823&pcatid=2823

Your shrimp will probably breed though. That's why I wouldn't get more than 7. You could also up your Tetra numbers to 7. They would feel more comfortable and be more active. Your tank wouldn't be overstocked as well. Hope this helps!

A larger filter definitely would not hurt with a stock that big. An AC20 or AC30 would be recommended as you can likely fit more biomedia in there than the Whisper.

I think with that filter, than this is as much as you should stock:

7 ember tetras
4 pygmy corys
1 scarlet badis
some shrimp

Shrimp, like others have said, have almost no bioload, but again, they will breed, so start out with like 5 or something. If you upgrade you could add more corys or tetras, but it's not necessary. Also, chili rasboras, or celestial pearl danios, IMO, are a bit cooler than ember tetras.

That filter should be fine. You could upgrade if you wanted to though. I entered you tank info on Aqadvisor.com and if your stock was 5 Scarlet Badis, 5 Ember Tetras, 5 Pygmy Cory Cats, and 6 Cheery Shrimp, your tank would be 85% stocked. Here's some info about Scarlet Badis: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2823&pcatid=2823

Your shrimp will probably breed though. That's why I wouldn't get more than 7. You could also up your Tetra numbers to 7. They would feel more comfortable and be more active. Your tank wouldn't be overstocked as well. Hope this helps!

Scarlet badis can be a bit hard to find. Saluke i think you should get 4 pygmycories, 6 ember , 7 shrimp, and 1-2 SB that plantedtankman suggested.

Sure! It's a Tetra Whisper 10. Do you think I should upgrade?

If you wanted you could get a 2nd 10g filter and then filter more water an hour or just get a 20g filter in addition to the 10g filter youve already got so your tank would be over filterd

Back
Top Bottom