Stocking advice for new nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostintheforest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here and am glad i've found a community of such well informed and friendly aquarium enthusiasts!
Anyhow, I'm still in the process of cycling my tank (doing it with fish unfortunately). I have a 6 gallon fluval edge 2 nano tank (with the new led config) and currently have some cabomba and xmas tree moss which i'm trying to get established, as well as 1 cherry red shrimp and 3 zebra danios. I tested the water yesterday and found that i'm still in the early stages of cycling (ammonia= roughly 0.30ppm, PH= 7.0, nitrite and nitrate= 0). I've read some conflicting things about water changes while doing a fish in cycle, I know the goal is to kick start the beneficial bacteria by providing them with ammonia, however i also know ammonia is highly toxic to fish. i'm wondering roughly what % of water I should change/per day to keep the ammonia levels high enough to get the biofilter going but low enough so as not to harm the danios and cherry shrimp i have in there at the moment.
As i am a noob in the world of freshwater aquariums i have many many questions (sorry). I also have a more general question about stocking fish in a tank this size as well as questions about lighting.
as far as lighting goes i was wondering if anyone here knows how powerful the stock leds are that come with the new fluval edge 6 gallon (i.e. average watts/gallon)and if they are adequate for a planted aquarium. i know the spectrum is around 7000k. I have cabomba and xmas moss in there at the moment and would like for them to thrive as much as possible. i've also been adding some flourish plant food, but only about half the recommended dose each time (i don't want to add too many things to the tank while it is in such a fragile state).
In the not too distant future I was hoping to turn the tank into either a cardinal tetra or galaxy rasbora tank with a few more cherry shrimp as well and maybe a nerita snail or two. does anyone have any advice on keeping either of these fish and which they think are better suited for this kind of environment?
Another question i have regarding lighting has to do with the blue leds that come with the fluval edge. is it preferable to leave the blue lights on all night (in terms of providing optimum conditions for fish health and plant growth?) or is it mainly there for aesthetic reasons?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

You need to remove the danios to a 20 Long minimum
Galaxy rasboras and red cherry shrimp-10 of each- will work well but not cardinal tetras

thanks for your super fast reply emerald. I was worried the danios would be too active for such a small tank, but the guy at the LFS managed to convince me it would be ok (in retrospect i'm not surprised as bad advice can reuslt in more fish sales). wondering now if i should try to return the danios and just try to continue to cycle the tank with the current level of ammonia and the lone cherry shrimp. thanks for the advice about the rasboras, i secretly wanted to get the rasboras more so than the tetras but am worried about the current state of wild galaxy rasbora stock. after reading up on the subject on this forum it seems like they have been progressively bred in captivity and thus the strain on the wild population is no where near where it was when they were first disovered in 2007, is this true?

Back
Top Bottom