Stocking Advice - New 35 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allinthegame83

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

Im starting to plan for my new tank. Had my first tank running for about a month now and already want somthing bigger. I wont be getting it until i move house in April but i like to be well prepared and so I want to start looking at what i can potentially stock...

Im looking at a 160 litre/35 gallon tank, somthing like this Marina Style 160 Tropical Aquarium Set TANK ONLY Other Fish Tanks for Sale. This will be the minimum tank size i will be getting. Tank will be planted quite heavily, driftwood, a rock area with hidey holes, planning on having sand substrate.

Here is a list of fish Ive seen down the lfs which i like the look of....

Tiger Barbs
Dwarf Gourami
Red Honey Gourami
Lace Gourami
Ram
Ottos
Peppered corys
Khuli Loachs (really like these!)
Neon Tetra
Serpae Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Widow Tetra
Columbian Red Fin Tetra
Red Cherry Shrimp
Zebra Snail
Red Crab
Various catfish

The sort of tank Id like...

A couple of centrepiece fish (Ram, Gouramis)
A school or two
Some bottom dwellers (I love cats :D)
Some inverts

So guys lets have some suggestions!

:thanks:

I like the idea of the natural look. Make sure to finds some nice pieces of DW. Stock wise, I think a pair of Bolivian rams would be sweet. Or German blue rams if your alright with their water requirements. I also love neon tetra so a descent school would be eye appealing (10-15). What kind I sand will you be getting just normal play sand? Or a more aquatic brand?

Tyler3533 said:
I like the idea of the natural look. Make sure to finds some nice pieces of DW. Stock wise, I think a pair of Bolivian rams would be sweet. Or German blue rams if your alright with their water requirements. I also love neon tetra so a descent school would be eye appealing (10-15). What kind I sand will you be getting just normal play sand? Or a more aquatic brand?

Yeah I Rams (probably Bolivian) are high on my wanted list.

I'm not sure about what sort of sand yet! I'm keen on this plant being planted heavily but I'm hearing mixed things about sand when it comes to plants. I believe the grains can't been to fine otherwise it smothers the roots?? Anything you'd recommend?

There's alot of things I need to research (substrate, Co2, lighting) but that's why I'm starting six months in advance!

Back
Top Bottom