Stocking and Decorating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We got our daughter a 5.5 gallon tank, would like and information or suggestions on what to stock it with and how many??? and also on proper decorating....how much, what exactly to have????

Any info welcome...

Thanks in advance

A betta or a scarlet badis pair or
One SB
6- CPD or ember tetra or chili Rasbora
You'll need lots of plants and maybe a small driftwood

I would get a beta but i would like to be able to have a few fish in there. My daughter loves watching them swim.

If you want multiple fish I believe you could get 3-4 Chili rasbora or endler's livebearers. In addition, you could heavily plant the tank and put in like 7 red cherry shrimp. That would look very neat IMO.

Hi and welcome! Is this your first tank? Do you know about cycling? This link might help: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

For fish, 5.5 gals is a bit limited but you have some options. Bettas can be very entertaining and they tend to interact with you more than most community fish. Depending on the betta's personality you could have some small shrimp in the tank too.

Other than that, some nano fish would work. Maybe 4-6 chili rasbora, ember tetra or celestial pearl danio. OR a few Endler's livebearears. There are some small killfish that would work too. Here are some links to similar posts that might give more info. You might want to visit some local fish stores and write down what interests you and then research them (or/and ask here).

As for decorations, pretty much anything you like should be fine as long as it's aquarium safe.

I have gotten a good list of different types of fish I could put in my 5.5 gallon tank, now I need to know how many I could have in there for the fish to be happy, healthy and not overstocked.

I currently have a Mollie (an orange one, not sure the actual type) and a african dwarf frog in the tank already. But what else and how many could I put in the tank.

Here is a list of fish I have gotten from on here or just doing research:
Neon Tetra, Embra Tetra, Endler Livebearers, Galaxy Rosboras, Chili Rosboras, Scarlet Badis, Red Cherry Shrimp, Pygmy Corys, Shell Dweller Cichlids, Dwarf Puffer, Bumblebee Goby, Otos, Von Rio Flame Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Dwarf Gourami, Pygmy Sunfish, Guppies, Killfish, Snails, Sparkling Gourami

I know I can't fit that many fish in a 5.5 gallon tank but I have been doing some research and have found out I should be able to keep a few in the tank and keep them happy and healthy.

Velksfish said:
I have gotten a good list of different types of fish I could put in my 5.5 gallon tank, now I need to know how many I could have in there for the fish to be happy, healthy and not overstocked.

I currently have a Mollie (an orange one, not sure the actual type) and a african dwarf frog in the tank already. But what else and how many could I put in the tank.

Here is a list of fish I have gotten from on here or just doing research:
Neon TetraX, Embra Tetra, Endler Livebearers, Galaxy Rosboras, Chili Rosboras, Scarlet Badis, Red Cherry Shrimp, Pygmy Corys, Shell Dweller CichlidsX, Dwarf Puffer, Bumblebee GobyX(not sure), Otos, Von Rio Flame TetraX, Cardinal TetraX, Dwarf GouramiX, Pygmy Sunfish, Guppies, Killfish, Snails, Sparkling Gourami

I know I can't fit that many fish in a 5.5 gallon tank but I have been doing some research and have found out I should be able to keep a few in the tank and keep them happy and healthy.

I put an x to what won't work

I guess the question is : do you plan to keep the frog and/or Molly? If so you're fully stocked as Mollys are fairly messy and large for a 5 gal. ADFs are social creatures and more than one is recommended but you can't really keep more than a couple in a 5 gal and that's without the Molly. So, I guess that's where to start and then go from there. Or get a larger tank ;)

Back
Top Bottom