Stocking for a 46 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Stocking for a 46 gallon tank, does this work?

1 red tail shark
8-12 tiger barbs
3 corys
1 type of small gourami?

I am still debating on what kind of gourami to get.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think the red tail shark will outgrow the tank quickly. They also have a bad rep of being quite nasty and territorial. If you want it make sure to have a lot of hiding places for the other fish.

I always partial to the flame or powder blue dwarf gourami. I've had both in the past in my kids community tanks and done really well. My absolute fav is the pearl but it will get too big for your current tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had red tail sharks in the past with no problem. They are happy as long as you feed them right and not introduce them into the tank first :D. The only thing I'm concerned about is have it with a gourami since I've only had them with tiger barbs and other community fish.

You have better luck with them I guess. Haven't had one in at probably 10-15years. I've never had one with a gourami the closest to that would be a small angel. That didn't work out well at all

Yeah no...they tear angels to shreds :( I like keeping them with barbs so that if one party gets aggressive then they usually pick on the other party and vice Versa. I've had the most trouble with my last red tail shark when it was the only dominant one in the tank it would pick on the fish till I had to remove them till I got some barbs and it seemed to calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Red tail shark gets too big and can be aggressive.And why only one gourami? Almost all fish do better in groups. The tiger barbs are also aggressive and will likely nip the fins of the gourami.
Stocking for a 46 gallon tank, does this work?

1 red tail shark
8-12 tiger barbs
3 corys
1 type of small gourami?

I am still debating on what kind of gourami to get.

Any thoughts?

Aren't gourami short of aggressive?

Back
Top Bottom