Stocking for a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M.p.c706

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! My 55 is basically ready for fish and I had some questions in stocking. I have an idea of what I want but I don’t know if it will be too much or not.

9 female bettas
4 balloon belly mollies
2 black mollies
2 panda mollies
1 bristlenose pleco
5 Corydoras
3 cherry barbs

I know cherry barbs need more like 6 in a group but they are coming from an old tank to the new one, my LFS hasn’t had anymore in stock lately and they are doing great together. Any suggestions please!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to consider is to have a male to at least 2 females for Mollies.

The biggest consideration is to run a lower number of fish groups to start if you do not have the amount of cycled media for the size of tank, number of fish in the tank.

If you have a cycled 10G with 10 asst. appropriately sized fish, and upgrading to a 55G then adding 20 more fish because they will fit in a 55G you will overwhelm the the filter and have too, too much fish waste for the 10G amount to handle.

So starting off slowly adding a group of fish at a time will gradually increase the BB in about 3 weeks, then another 3 weeks, which works well with using a quarantine procedure of 2-3 weeks.

Honestly, those are generally smaller fish so I wouldn’t be too concerned. But I agree, just take some time between introducing new fish into the tank

Back
Top Bottom