Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toon.inc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just finished cycling a 65 litre tanks. So far all I have in it is a couple of bristle noses.

What else can I put in it. I am looking for small School fish with bright colours. I have only ever had big tanks and big fish.

It has a bubbler, heater, a 250 lph filter and a light.

Can't wait to hear everyone's ideas.

By careful with plecos. Bristlenoses stay quite small but watch them. I would suggest a mix of guppies and endler guppies. They breed across the species and are beautiful. Mollies are also nice but grow bigger. Hoplo catfish are friendly community fish and good scavengers. Weather loaches are good and cory cats too. Hope this helps.

I don't think 2 bristlenoses is overstocked if there getting peas,cucumbers, or algae tabs. They might act territorial towards one another but they only get about 4".

Plecos tend to have a big bioload for their size. Big eaters , big poopers. If they are both male they will probably fight. Even pairs squabble and there is no room to get away.

They are supposed to be kept in a bigger tank. They Usually stay sucked to the side or the bottom so I'm guessing it is for food abunduncy? So I think with added algae it would be OK? I just wanted to explain my comment a little better:)

I don't think 2 bristlenoses is overstocked if there getting peas,cucumbers, or algae tabs. They might act territorial towards one another but they only get about 4".
It's truly overstocked. As said, they have big bio loads, even if they look small, they produce big.

Plecos tend to have a big bioload for their size. Big eaters , big poopers. If they are both male they will probably fight. Even pairs squabble and there is no room to get away.

I do agree with dominant bullying and other having nowhere to go

Well there you have it, it's overstocked. I will take it as something learnt today. I understand they have a heavy bioload, I never would have thought 2x 4" of fish would max out a 20g. Thx for the lesson

They are only baby bn's not pleco so will only grow to about 10 cms. But as they get bigger they will change tanks I am currently breeding them and keeping a few from each group to grow up.

They are only baby bn's not pleco so will only grow to about 10 cms. But as they get bigger they will change tanks I am currently breeding them and keeping a few from each group to grow up.

As far as I'm concerned if it's about bioload not size you can keep as many as you want. If your params are good you are good! Have fun and enjoy your plecs!!

As far as I'm concerned if it's about bioload not size you can keep as many as you want. If your params are good you are good! Have fun and enjoy your plecs!!
Sorry to say but that's not true. In such a small tank, it's highly likely they be territorial and even aggressive. So saying that is not valid.

Sorry to say but that's not true. In such a small tank, it's highly likely they be territorial and even aggressive. So saying that is not valid.

I wasn't referring to them being aggressive, I mentioned earlier I could see that being the problem

The point is, you can't keep two BNP in the tank that size. There are no ways around it. You just can't.

So have 2 bristlenose catfish that are about 1 cm is over stocking even as they get bigger I will be selling them?

So have 2 bristlenose catfish that are about 1 cm is over stocking even as they get bigger I will be selling them?

Just watch out for behavior issues and keep an eye on your tests. I understand its a holding tank, just be aware of possible issues before they happen. If your water parameters are staying healthy still do PWCs weekly, it's good for other reasons. As long as you aren't getting spikes you may be able to add some small clean fish.

Back
Top Bottom