Stocking Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

60oz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a new aquarium owner and I currently have a still-cycling 5.5 gallon tank. I was going to get a dwarf puffer but I'm not sure that would be a good beginner fish (also the thirty dollar shipping is a pain). I was thinking about maybe 3-4 pygmy corys and some shrimp/a snail, but I'm not sure if that would work out. Any advice or stocking suggestions are welcome! :thanks:

Hi and welcome to AA! A 5 gal is a bit small for corys IMO; they are pretty active fish, even the smaller ones. A single betta would love a 5 gal (you could add some shrimp and/or snails too if the betta tolerates them); they are very interesting fish with unique personalities. Have you seen any fish you like? Perhaps take a trip to some local fish stores, write down names of fish you like and then research them (or ask here so we can help too).

Ya cory cats are AWESOME fish one of my personal favorites but they need space

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting three white cloud minnows, and might add a mystery snail as well.

That works right? I'd feel horrible if I was overstocking.

Welcome to our community, thanks for joining us! :welcome:

Bettas are very cool fish, the variety is just amazing! You are sure to find one that you like!

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting three white cloud minnows, and might add a mystery snail as well.

That works right? I'd feel horrible if I was overstocking.

Hi!

White clouds are a very active schooling fish so they generally do better in a larger tank with lots of room (such as a 20gal) and preferably at least 6 of them together. Bioload-wise three of them are ok in a 5.5 gal but they won't truly be happy unless in an adequate group and a tank with a larger footprint. Maybe you can try returning them for something else? Unfortunately there aren't a ton of fish that work in a tank that small but you could check these out:

Betta (just one)
Celestial Pearl Danios (schooling fish, so 6)
Ember tetras (schooling fish, 6)
Chili rasboras (schooling fish, 6)
Dwarf puffer - Not a beginner fish like you already pointed out but not terribly hard either. Just make you sure you have good filtration, great water params, and stay on top of your PWCs. Live plants are recommended with lots of places for the DP to explore. Live or frozen foods are necessary (mine did fine on things like frozen blood worms, pond snails, etc).

Another option you have is to do a really nice planted shrimp tank with a hardy type like red cherry shrimp. They breed easily and are surprisingly fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom