Stocking help for 15g column?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit bias when it comes to DGs and HGs, Every single one I've ever gotten has died for no reason. Fully cycled tank, peaceful tankmates, no clear infection or diseases, they even eat and socialize just fine. Then suddenly, less than 2 weeks after I get them, PLOOP! Dead fish.

Oh dear. I just looked them up a bit and the wiki page I found says they're prone to disease and about 25 percent has a certain disease. :s right now I'm leaning towards nano fish (rainbow tetras) and something for a centerpiece for the tank! Which was what I would want a dg for

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 absolutangel04's stock suggestions and advice! Definitely skip the BNP, but later on you can look into getting a few otocinclus when your tank has matured a bit.

Nano fish are your best options as the average tetra such as rummynose, neons, and cardinals would do better with more horizontal swimming space. Some of these were mentioned already but here are some nano fish worth looking for:

Celestial pearl danios
Dwarf emerald rasboras
Chili rasboras (or any micro rasbora)
Green neon tetras
Ember tetras
Endlers
Least killifish
Clown killifish
Sparkling gourami
Scarlet badis
Spotted blue eyed rainbowfish

Also:
Red cherry shrimp
Amano shrimp

Centerpiece:
Honey gourami (generally much healthier than dwarf gouramis, also they stay a bit smaller and are less prone to being randomly aggressive)
Peacock gudgeon
Betta

Misc:
Dwarf puffers (would have to be a species tank and you could only probably do 2-3)

Last edited:
So many options! But in the long run I'll probably have to go with whatever the pet store has to offer. But now I have this to look at while I'm there :) the only thing I'll have to be careful about is the amount I get.

+1 on the green neon tetras, very attractive especially when put with cardinal tetras. I would say Killifish as well but they tend to be more expensive, and a bit more needy.

As for a centerpiece, this site says they are "Difficult" to care for but they really aren't, a German Blue Ram would make a magnificent centerpiece.

No doubt a beautiful fish but 14X14 tank is definitely too cramped for a GBR.

I personally think it's debatable. I've seen GBRs successfully kept in an 8 gallon Aqueon Evolve which is quite cramped. But if we are thinking for the best comfort of the fish you are most likely correct.

I've seen one kept in a 2 1/2 gallon before. It's all possible and they'll often survive, but yeah I guess I'm talking more about minimum requirements for them to thrive while sharing space in a community setting.

So yeah I will agree with you, a ram is probably a bad idea. Putting any fish in a container of water any less than 1 gallon though, that kills me. That's why I always wanna buy all the Bettas at my LFS lol

That is how I feel with all the betas I usually see at walmart :c I always want to just buy them all! I've seen the blue rams but was afraid it would end up dying so I decided to wait until I upgrade. They are beautiful.

Get a 20G and just put like 4-5 GBRs with maybe a pleco or an otocinclus. Even alone they are so cute and fun to watch lol

One day! But it is not in my budget at the time :)

I hear ya... I only got all my tanks from luck. Search for fish tanks on craigslist, you could probably get a full 20G setup for $60 or less.

For now I'll enjoy my current tank :) can't wait to put fish in it!

Got the fish today! A dwarf gourami (spelling?) and six neon tetras. Looked for shrimp and they only had ghost which were sadly sold out.

Good luck! Make sure to keep up on pwc since both the dg and neons can be a bit finicky. Get some pics when you can.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408304960.529853.jpg I have some of the neons :) the dg is hiding a the time. I'm sure he'll come out soon

I wish you luck with the DG :) My neon tetras have actually been through a lot and are fine, so I don't think they're super finicky.

Maybe someday you'll deal with the most finicky fish of all... saltwater fish. (y)
I myself just got a clown fish, I hope he does okay :D

I'm sure he will! I don't think I'll ever venture towards a salt water tank... I might go for a planted one someday ;)

Back
Top Bottom