Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
10 gallon tank stocking

As the title said I need some advice on 10 gallon tank. So I was thinking maybe 1 honey gourami, 2 platies, 2 guppies, and 3 small corydoras. Is this Okey, or too overstocked? If not then any suggestions?

Any stocking ideas for a 10 gallon tank. I am open to suggestions. I am planning a heavily planted tank

I prefer shrimp, but most don't only want a shrimp tank

Depends on what YOU are interested in since this is your tank.
I'm partial to smaller fish (ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, harlequin rasboras). They would properly scaled in that size of tank (would make to tank seem larger, visually IMO).
I would avoid active fish such as zebra Danios.

Small fish, think less than 1.5 inches will be favorable, ones that can be kept in small schools or alone, and do NOT require s lot of swimming space.

When it comes to stocking, less fish is easy maintenance, lower stress on the fish, and fewer problems. So be mindful of your stocking, aqadvisor is a great tool to start.

The only thing I could come up with to stock a 10 gallon tank without over stocking the tank is a small school (6) of neon tettras, or a betta tank.

How about guppies. If not then maybe just tiger barbs or some platies with shrimp.

I really like platies, guppies and honey gourami because the males get only 1.5 inches

I really like platies, guppies and honey gourami because the males get only 1.5 inches

Platies take up a lot of room in a little tank.

Honey Gourami is ok, 1
Or
Sparkling Gouramis

There are a lot of Nano species, but some are trickier to find.

I called my CPDs my "tiny Trout"
IMG_0270.jpg

I kept a group of 7 in my 10g with 5 C habrosus Cories. None got over an inch or so.
IMG_0795.jpg

Started as Shrimp only. I'm hoping to do another Shrimp only 10g in the coming year. I loved watching them.
IMG_0131.jpgIMG_0751.jpg

Last edited:
So maybe guppies and platies like 2 platies and 3 guppies with some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom