Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gejegeb69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
30 gallon tank, 3 foot long, started off with 5 Buenos Aires tetra but can’t find much about them online so not sure what they’re really compatible with apart from barbs, wondering what else I could put in there aswell as the barbs.

Hi gejegeb69,
I am serious when I suggest you add another 5 or 6 Burnos tetras. Or if you are prepared to do the water changes even more tetras all the same species.

Hi gejegeb69,
I am serious when I suggest you add another 5 or 6 Burnos tetras. Or if you are prepared to do the water changes even more tetras all the same species.
Ok thanks, is there any other fish compatible with both tiger barbs and the tetras that would do well in a 30 gallon?

I am under the impression that tiger barbs really do need to be in a tank on their own as the are aggressive fin nippers. I suggested the large school of tetras only because they show more natural behaviours in a much larger group than the minimum 5 often recommended.

Are the tiger barbs already in the tank with the tetras? Yes tiger barbs are fin nippers if not kept in a large enough group.

Are the tiger barbs already in the tank with the tetras? Yes tiger barbs are fin nippers if not kept in a large enough group.

I have been advised to add 10 tiger barbs into to tank because the group of them will reduce the aggression towards other fish

So they are already in there? I wouldn't add any more fish. Corydoras might be ok but you don't want to overstock your tank.

No the tiger barbs aren’t in the tank yet, if I didn’t go for tiger barbs what other fish could I have in with the Buenos Aires tetras

Other tetras as long as they aren't known to be fin nippers. Smaller barbs like cherry barbs would be ok. Like I mentioned earlier corydoras or another smaller pleco like bristlenose would work.

Back
Top Bottom