Stocking ideas for my 110 litre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gorby928

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Well I have just gone tropical with my tank after 5 years of coldwater.I have been to my LFS with a water sample and my readings where as follows.
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0.1
NO3 - 10
PH - 7.5
GH - 11
KH - 10

They recomended the following to help correct my water readings.

Waterlife 6.5 buffer,1 teaspoon Morn & Eve
Blackwater 4 teaspoons once a week
Nitrivec 2 teaspoons daily

all for 14 days and then I have to bring in another water sample.

They did let me take some hardy fish to help establish the tank.

3x Black widow tetra
3x Zebra danio
3x Golden WCMM
3x Harlquin rasbora
3x peguin tetra (which will be going back as they are being aggresive)

They have said I can bring back any fish I dont like once I know what I want to do as regards stocking.

Im thinking of getting rid of the peguin tetras,getting 3 more Black widows,5 more Harlquin rasbora after that Im open to any ideas on the subject?

Im hoping all my water readings will be within limits when I return to my LFS at the end of the 14 days and I can get some more fish.I think I need some bottom dwellers and they showed me some small clown loache as something to think about but I read that they need to be in groups of 4 or more and can get big.My LFS did say they take a long while to get big and if they did ever get that big I could rehome them.So thats it for now and I look forward to your advice.:D

I wouldn't mess with anything to lower pH, unless you do it naturally with driftwood or things like that, but, personally I try to avoid chemicals. By the way, Fishless cycle is WAY MORE effective, humane, and easier than cycle with "hardy" fish. Take a look at the link in my signature.

I would look for fish that will do fine in a pH of 7.5 and a 110 liter tank.

Here's a list of fish that do fine in 7.5 pH and 11 GH:

Find fish (order by the alphabet (latin) - descending: 0)

Some of them are huge, but there's others that are appropriate for your tank's size. You can make a list of the ones you like and then do a research to see the minimum tank size, temperature, food, preferred substrate, etc.

Using chemicals to alter a pH of 7.5? Something's rotten in Denmark...

What fish are you wanting that can't acclimate to 7.5?

Hiya gorby. try to avoid using chemicals to alter the ph of your water, they're not good and the change would only be temporary anyway, best leave it as it is and acclimate the fish to your water.

Pete

Hi guys
thanks for the replys,like I said in my origanal post my tank has been running cold water for 5 years or so then was fishless for a month at 26 degrees but still running I just hoovered the gravel and planted some new plants and did a 50% water change,before I went to my LFS and was advised.I have been to a few stores and they all differ in what they say so thats why I thought I would ask you guys,but I am where I am now as regards fish and tank.Also like I said Im kind of open to stocking ideas as a newbie tropical keeper.Would just like a good comunnity tank not to crowded with maybe a splash of colour.Thanks for the quick replys:)

Update on Rekord 800 stocking

Hiya gorby. try to avoid using chemicals to alter the ph of your water, they're not good and the change would only be temporary anyway, best leave it as it is and acclimate the fish to your water.

Pete

Hi guys
I thought I would give you a quick update as to where I am with my tank now.Well I went back to my LFS on monday with the 3 Peguin Tetra and 3 WCMM,I didnt bring back the Zebra danios as I couldnt catch the little devils.Anyway when I got to the store they where closed and I had my fish to give back(not good) so using my phone I found another store a little futher away and headed there.Well this was a good move I think,he was quite happy to take the fish off me when I explained my sitution,he did a test on the water sample that I gave him and all was fine.So after I explained my set up and your suggestions I have got 6 more Black Widow Tetras and 6 Harlequin Rasbora.we chatted about this and that and like you guys he said I didnt need any extra chemicals to set up the tank as it was doing fine.He then told me to keep an eye for ammonia --> nitrite levels for the next month with the dropper kits :) and then he said pop back and we could discuss where to go from there.They where nice,no hard sell and more akin to what you guys said.As for the fish they seem alot happier(shoaling away).Well Ive tested the water 3 times this week and just did another test about a minute ago,

NO2 = <0.3
NH3/NH4 = 0

But so far so good so I'll keep an eye on it. :fish2:Thanks for all the advice so far.:)

Back
Top Bottom