Stocking issues for my 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyjawn

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i've read the 1 inch per gallon rule and then i've read all the opposing issues...

i don't want to overstock my tank but I would like some variety in the fish I keep.

My tank is 20 Gallons, planted.

Right now I have 2 Bolivian Rams and 3 Corys. I'm considering a few red pencilfish because they'll occupy the top of the tank and possibly a few red/blue tetras.

Is this too much. It's definitely over the inch per gallon rule because I don't want to keep single fish, I'd rather keep at least 3 of each.

Comments?

If the tank is a 20g high tank, I'd stick to just one school and have 6-8. Schooling fish (pencils and tetras) like to have groups and not just trios. I'd go with the Pencilfish, assuming they don't get larger than 2-3 inches. Then you could add 3 more cories and since the rams and cories will occupy the bottom, the Pencils would be a good addition for the top.

So you are looking at:
2 Bolivians
6 Cories (of the same type)
6-8 Pencilfish

That is a good stocking for a 20g high tank. If its a 20 long, you could probably get away with the second school.

thanks for the advice. :)

the tetras will be red and blue tetras from colombia (although i might consider neons) and the pencil fish would be coral red's.

my tank is a 20 high... i was thinking that the pencil's will occupy the top, and the tetra's will be in the middle.

and my cory's are peppered.

Back
Top Bottom