Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
So I have a 65l tropical tank I used to have two BN plecos in there to help it cycle but they died so once it's now cycled I was thinking just 1 BN pleco some lemon tetras and a male betta as a center piece fish, I have a 25l back up tank just in case his a meanie.

Any other suggestions for a center piece fish just in case the betta doesn't work out with my other tank.

I also have two danios which I am selling as I it them when I was still starting out I sold my other ones.
__________________

__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
emerald76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissa
So I have a 65l tropical tank I used to have two BN plecos in there to help it cycle but they died so once it's now cycled I was thinking just 1 BN pleco some lemon tetras and a male betta as a center piece fish, I have a 25l back up tank just in case his a meanie.

Any other suggestions for a center piece fish just in case the betta doesn't work out with my other tank.

I also have two danios which I am selling as I it them when I was still starting out I sold my other ones.
BN plecos need 25-30 gallons of water or 80+ liters
You are pretty much stuck with nano fish like celestial pearl danios,ember tetras, chili rasboras, emerald rasboras, Pygmy cories, dwarf cories, scarlet badis, bettas, and MAYBE a pitbull pleco
__________________

__________________
It's not a dumb question if you ask it.
Too many tanks? GASP! How could that be?
emerald76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Look It Up
 
librarygirl's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 7,052
At 65 l (about 17 gals US) you're a bit limited. ALl of the fish you mentioned need larger tanks. First though, is the tank still cycling? Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I suspect that's why your fish died.

In addition to what Emerald mentioned above, some other options are guppies, endler's livebearers, smaller killfish. Of course you can't mix and add all of these, these are just some suggestions. If you mention some fish you like we can help stock. You might also want to go to your local fish store, write down the names of fish they have that you like (don't let them sell you anything!) and come back home and research them first.
__________________
Every living thing is significant.
🐠 Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Community Rules | Custom Site Search
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
tamtam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: new brunswick
Posts: 1,441
Send a message via MSN to tamtam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissa View Post
So I have a 65l tropical tank I used to have two BN plecos in there to help it cycle but they died so once it's now cycled I was thinking just 1 BN pleco some lemon tetras and a male betta as a center piece fish, I have a 25l back up tank just in case his a meanie.

Any other suggestions for a center piece fish just in case the betta doesn't work out with my other tank.

I also have two danios which I am selling as I it them when I was still starting out I sold my other ones.
A dwarf gourmi is a good option for a center piece I think. I'm pretty partial to them.

I love the liveaquaria site. Found it seriously helpful when trying to figure out lot of things about the fish I was considering.
__________________
1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
tamtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl
At 65 l (about 17 gals US) you're a bit limited. ALl of the fish you mentioned need larger tanks. First though, is the tank still cycling? Have you tested ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I suspect that's why your fish died.

In addition to what Emerald mentioned above, some other options are guppies, endler's livebearers, smaller killfish. Of course you can't mix and add all of these, these are just some suggestions. If you mention some fish you like we can help stock. You might also want to go to your local fish store, write down the names of fish they have that you like (don't let them sell you anything!) and come back home and research them first.
Yeah it was cycling I had them in there to help it turns out the big LFS was selling me water conditioner a smaller LFS told me that was for rain water I use tap.

I'm happy some of you replied I'll look into the fish you guys have mentioned :$
__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 37
I think you need to use water conditioner even with tap water!
__________________
MummyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
Hmm I'll look into that thanks
__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 37
The water conditioner is to get rid of the chlorines and chloramines in tap water and make it safe for the fish!
__________________
MummyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
Yeah that's what my water Ager does
__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
What brand is it? I'm getting the feeling you're getting poor advice at your lfs.

What are your readings and which test kit are you using?
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
Hope the image works. The blue crystals was what I was using when I went to my LFS they said that one was for tank (rain) water so they gave me water Ager which removes heavy metals .02ppm of ammo chlorine and all that. I thought that they done the same thing but they don't apparently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3959967263.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	98961  
__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 37
Iv never heard of water ager lol does it do the same thing over here its mostly called tap safe so maybe it just depends where in the world you live!
__________________
MummyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia, VIC
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
What brand is it? I'm getting the feeling you're getting poor advice at your lfs.

What are your readings and which test kit are you using?
I have got API liquid test kits, I am currently waiting on a master to come in so ATM I've only got ammo and nitrite test kits.
My PH is about 7.4
Ammo .25ppm
Nitrite .00ppm
Temp 23-24degrees
__________________

__________________
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.