Stocking my 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
At the moment I have one male dwarf gourami and two female dwarf gouramis and three zebra dainos. The tank has been going for a week and a half with the fish inside and they're doing great and the levels seem fine. How long do you guys think I should wait before adding more fish and any reccomendations on some bottom dwellers?

not much of an expert , but we have a single Skunk Cory Catfish and absolutley love it. it likes to be in packs so we will be getting him a company

Yes i have heard that corys are a lot of fun to watch buzzing around on the bottom! Im just hesitant because my female gouramis love resting on the bottom at night and hiding under my driftwood so maybe the corys would stress them out?

the one gourami that we have never bothers it (not yet sure F or M). the swordfishes do bother him once in a while, but the cat just gets out of their way. all in all he survived more then a year in that company.

I'm impressed you were able to find female dwarf gourami's. I haven't seen them being sold for quite some time. My advice is to not get bottom dwellers just for the sake of having them. Make sure they are fish you actually want. That being said there are so many species of cory catfish out there one couldn't even begin to name them all here. I'd look into that and see if you find one that you like. They prefer to be in schools with their own species and enjoy a sand substrate. I wouldn't worry about corys and gouramis being a problem together in my opinion.

I'm impressed you were able to find female dwarf gourami's. I haven't seen them being sold for quite some time. My advice is to not get bottom dwellers just for the sake of having them. Make sure they are fish you actually want. That being said there are so many species of cory catfish out there one couldn't even begin to name them all here. I'd look into that and see if you find one that you like. They prefer to be in schools with their own species and enjoy a sand substrate. I wouldn't worry about corys and gouramis being a problem together in my opinion.

I shop at a fish store called aqua hut near where i live and they have a lot of fish that are hard to find so i got lucky with my females. I absolutely would love any bottom dwellers although i do have gravel and wouldnt want to harm the corys. Im just asking for some input on which fish would fit the best and thrive the most for the bottom of my community.

Hello and welcome!

So your tank has been running for a week and a half? If you did not cycle your tank prior to adding fish, or transfer over established filter media from another tank, then your tank has not cycled. If this is the case I would not recommend adding more fish until the tank has cycled (usually 4-8 weeks). If you do not already own a test kit, it's a great purchase for when you're just starting up a tank. If you are cycling with fish, it will be necessary to test the water frequently.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Last edited:
I test the water daily and the levels are within the normal range. My strips test nitrate nitrite water hardness ph and kh

You need an API master test kit and you need to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Ammonia is the first to show in a cycle and your not testing for them so you won't be showing any nitrites and nitrates yet. You have to do a WC anytime your ammonia and nitrite rise above .25ppm. Here is a good fish in cycling article... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

eBay is a great place to get the test kit for about $20 with free shipping. Do you know anybody that has a tank set up for quite some time that the fish are healthy w/o diseases?

eBay is a great place to get the test kit for about $20 with free shipping. Do you know anybody that has a tank set up for quite some time that the fish are healthy w/o diseases?

I do know one person that has a healthy ciclid tank. Should i get some of her gravel and put it in the filter to help seed the tank?

I do know one person that has a healthy ciclid tank. Should i get some of her gravel and put it in the filter to help seed the tank?

No don't do that. Take their filter media out of the filter, swish and squeeze it in a bucket of your tank water. Then dump it in your filter. That will help drastically. If you can do that it will get some good BB going in your tank. Or if either one of you have a spare filter, you could also run a spare on their tank for a couple weeks then move it to your tank for a couple weeks and that would also work. :)

Thank you so much thats an awesome tip!

No problem. Just bring some of your tank water over in a small "fish only" bucket to do it. If either one of you don't have a spare filter then try to do it more than once and that will help out even more. Just wait a week or two before you do it a second time :)

Lets please keep this thread on the topic of stocking the OP's tank - not career choices. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom