Stocking my 45gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After letting my tank cycle for 3 weeks, my tank was ready to add my fish from the 10 gallon (5 platies, 3 guppies, 2 baby bristle nose plecos, and 3 ghost shrimp). I want to add 5 cory cats, 3 guppies, and 4 ghost more ghost shrimp. Will the be okay? Or will I be over stocked? I would like to add I have an aquaclear 70 keeping my filter clean and I do 30% water changes every week. Any advice will help. Thanks:)

Sounds like a really good stock plan to me.

The fish will really benefit with the extra filtration plus it'll keep your water clearer!

I began by setting up my new aquaclear and all of the new gravel in the tank, along with 40 gallons of new treated water and water frommy 10 gallon tank. I then added more water to my 10 so the fish didn't have to live in half a tank. After 4 days or so, I rinsed a mesh laundry bag (that had never been out of the package) and filled it with half of the old rocks I had in my 10 gallon tank. About one week into it, I took out 5 gallons and added 5 more from the 10g. tank, just like I would do for a normal water change. I did this for another week, and each day, I would add one ornament from the 10g to the 45g. I did another water change at the end of the second week, as I did the week prior, then let is sit without being touch for a whole week. At the end of the third week, I took 10 gallons out of the 45g tank, then added my fish (after testing the water with a test kit, no ammonia, and really low nitrate/nitrites). I then added the rest of the water and called it a day.

SteveJP said:
I began by setting up my new aquaclear and all of the new gravel in the tank, along with 40 gallons of new treated water and water frommy 10 gallon tank. I then added more water to my 10 so the fish didn't have to live in half a tank. After 4 days or so, I rinsed a mesh laundry bag (that had never been out of the package) and filled it with half of the old rocks I had in my 10 gallon tank. About one week into it, I took out 5 gallons and added 5 more from the 10g. tank, just like I would do for a normal water change. I did this for another week, and each day, I would add one ornament from the 10g to the 45g. I did another water change at the end of the second week, as I did the week prior, then let is sit without being touch for a whole week. At the end of the third week, I took 10 gallons out of the 45g tank, then added my fish (after testing the water with a test kit, no ammonia, and really low nitrate/nitrites). I then added the rest of the water and called it a day.

Did you have fish in the new tank during this time? If not were you dosing it with ammonia? If still no, I'm sorry to say your BB have died. They need ammonia to stay alive and the bacteria don't live in the water itself. Sorry.

What you can do now is just put the fish you have in the new tank along with the filter from the small one. That harbors all the BB to sustain the bio load of your current stock. Do that. Keep an eye on your parameters and if all stays good for a week or so then slowly add the other fish you want to buy. You said you have an AC70 for the new tank so run that with the one from your old one for a few weeks. (so you'll have 2 filters on the tank). That will transfer the BB to the new filter.

FishyBusiness said:
Did you have fish in the new tank during this time? If not were you dosing it with ammonia? If still no, I'm sorry to say your BB have died. They need ammonia to stay alive and the bacteria don't live in the water itself. Sorry.

What you can do now is just put the fish you have in the new tank along with the filter from the small one. That harbors all the BB to sustain the bio load of your current stock. Do that. Keep an eye on your parameters and if all stays good for a week or so then slowly add the other fish you want to buy. You said you have an AC70 for the new tank so run that with the one from your old one for a few weeks. (so you'll have 2 filters on the tank). That will transfer the BB to the new filter.

No, he's added ornaments and I think some gravel which all carries beneficial bacteria, so he has done a mini cycle. Just watch the parameters and everything ought to be okay. Add the filter from the old tank and everything should be fine.

Your stock seems pretty good. The plecos are poop machines and add a good sized bioload and you'd be about fully stocked but within reasonable limits....until the platy and/or guppies start to breed. :)

As FishyBusiness said, just move the current fish to the 45 with the filter from the 10 (the extra small filter will be good too; an AC 70 is adequate but for that tank and stocking I'd prefer an AC 110 or even a canister but the 70 should be ok at least for now). This should instantly cycle the tank for the fish you have now (I'd check levels for a week to make sure) then SLOWLY start adding new fish. After each addition, test water for 1-2 weeks; if ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 without water changes then you can add more, etc. If anything spikes just do some extra water changes until thing settle down again.

I have both filters going right now and plan on it for a week or so, depending on how the water tests in the future. And with the breeding, it's pretty much survival of the fittest. If one or two make it, I will love to see how they grow up. If not, there will always be more fry.

Back
Top Bottom