Stocking my 80x40x40 Asian Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosemelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I've started thinking about a new project. What I want to do is start a 80cm Asian biotope. I'm still searching for fish, so I'll tell you what I have in mind and if you have any ideas or tips that would be very welcome!

I definitely want 2x Colisa Chuna, since this is my favourite aquariumfish

For the middle layer I was thinking about a nice school, maybe the Rasbora Galaxy. Any ideas?

For the lowest layer maybe some Pangio Kuhlii? Or another asian ground type (i dont know many..)

Finally I am really in love with the Betta Splendens male, so I was wondering if it is possible to keep a single male in your aquarium, without female? And is it possible in combination with the other fish?

All suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Im sorry for my crappy english, its not my first language ;)

Recently I've started thinking about a new project. What I want to do is start a 80cm Asian biotope. I'm still searching for fish, so I'll tell you what I have in mind and if you have any ideas or tips that would be very welcome!

For the middle layer I was thinking about a nice school, maybe the Rasbora Galaxy. Any ideas?

For the lowest layer maybe some Pangio Kuhlii? Or another asian ground type (i dont know many..)

Finally I am really in love with the Betta Splendens male, so I was wondering if it is possible to keep a single male in your aquarium, without female? And is it possible in combination with the other fish?

All suggestions or ideas are welcome!

Im sorry for my crappy english, its not my first language ;)

Do you know the volume of the tank (gallons/liters)?

The rasboras and kuhlis are fine. Can't do both the gouramis and a betta though.

Most people will suggest a sand substrate for the kuhlis but I've kept them in gravel tanks for years without any problems. Make sure they have lots of hiding places though (plants, driftwood, rocks, etc).

Last edited:
@TheresaM Thanks for your reply :)! I think its about 30 gallons.

Do you or someone maybe have any other suggestion to replace the betta?

The pearl gourami may interest you as a replacement for a Betta. Or a dwarf gourami. I don't know if they would be compatible though.

It was because of this original post and the honey gourami pair that I said a betta wouldn't work. Not sure about the pearl but I personally wouldn't mix types of labyrinth fish in the same tank.

How about a German blue ram instead of the betta? I kept one with gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom