Stocking my new 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may fully extend the moss wall too. I ran out of moss so I only have the left half of the tank covered in the mesh...think I should fully extend it or stick with half?
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think that sounds great! I'd love to see a picture of it, that seems like it would look really cool.

I got my initial corys at a non chain lfs and these last pandas are from a fairly reputable Petsmart that we've had good luck with (I know there is controversy with that but ours really is pretty good).

I read somewhere that pandas in particular are not so stable because of breeding issues so I got about 8 of them, thinking we will see who makes it out of this mess....

I think that sounds great! I'd love to see a picture of it, that seems like it would look really cool.

Thanks! I still haven't added on any more sections of moss wall, but I may when I get home. I will for sure post pics when it (hopefully) grows in a few weeks :)

The false juli should be pretty hardy? Not had much experience with pandas. Elegans are pretty tough ime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll look them up. I'm probably going to get some more orange spot because they look amazing and the one I have is overall pretty hardy...none of them hang out together though like I thought. Except it's funny that I still see the original 3 hanging out together :D

In a tank that big a group of 15 would be great, my 5 false juli follow each other around like a marching band, it's really cool. The more the merrier with corys.

Right now there are 7 pandas, 5 julii and one orange. You mean 15 total right?

I'd up each shoal to at least 6/7.

In was thinking 7 myself. I need to special order the orange spot though...can find them anymore locally. Also you might know, but this last time I bought the julii corys, I think I got a mix of julii and false julii...there is a minor difference in the pattern but will that affec how the shoal too?

In was thinking 7 myself. I need to special order the orange spot though...can find them anymore locally. Also you might know, but this last time I bought the julii corys, I think I got a mix of julii and false julii...there is a minor difference in the pattern but will that affec how the shoal too?

Not sure? I mixed elegans with green Lazer and they chill together all the time, look very similar but not exact. Can't see them avoiding each other.

Ok good :) I'll find more when I head back home...

So I think I might be going through a mini cycle...0 ammonia, almost .2 nitrite and about 20-30 nitrate...ph normal 7.4 like always.

A mini cycle is about the only thing I could think would mess with only nitrite ...what are your thoughts? Mini cycle or something else?

Also...I double checked my readings and even took them to a lfs this morning. Did a 50% PWC last night today the #s aren't any different, but we used prime and I've read that prime throws off readings...false positives and such. So Im leaving it alone for now and retesting this evening, 24 hours after adding the Prime.

Thanks in advance!

Most likely a mini cycle, just do the partial wc's daily until it levels out..

Ok thanks. That's what I thought. How long can mini cycles last? Thanks!!!

Ok thanks. That's what I thought. How long can mini cycles last? Thanks!!!

Anywhere from a day to a few weeks. It all depends on how healthy your bacterial load is. Higher temperatures and a pH above 6.5 help speed the process up, although it also increases the toxicity of ammonia.

Ok thanks. Ammonium is 0 still so we are good there. There is still a nitrate reeding of about 30 so hopefully this will be a a shirt lived mini cycle. Would it help to add filter media from my other existing tank to add more existing bacterial colonies?

Yah, add some seeded media if possible. Seeing as you're already converting trites to to trates it should be pretty short lived

Ok good to hear. Thanks!!

Rainbow shark. Out. He's gone to the living room tank with more fish his size. He may have been the cause of the dead cory cats....

There is a Garra Rufa "Doctor fish" in that tank with a similar body style but it's 5.5 feet long so there's room for both...and at least he won't be picking on anyone...???

Back
Top Bottom